Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Maidstone United co-owners Oliver Ash and Terry Casey have agreed to day time training under manager Hakan Hayrettin

Maidstone United will continue day time training when they return and chief exec Bill Williams sees that as a statement of intent.

The club had been considering whether to switch to evening training, effectively going part-time, as the club's board looked at many aspects of their operation after the season was halted.

Hakan Hayrettin will have his players in three times a week for training Picture: John Westhrop
Hakan Hayrettin will have his players in three times a week for training Picture: John Westhrop

Co-owner Oliver Ash said at the end of March that they had some "pretty stark decisions to take and think about how we operate."

The Stones have announced today (Tuesday), however, that they will remain committed to day-time training under manager Hakan Hayrettin.

A club statement said: “Ahead of today’s government announcement, which is expected to outline the next phase of lifting the lockdown, the club‘s owners are working up details to fully reopen the Gallagher Stadium and preparing for a second season in Vanarama National League South.

“Oliver Ash and Terry Casey (co-owners) may not know exactly when the new season might start, nor whether restrictions on attendances may be imposed, but after much reflection and debate they have confirmed that next season’s squad will continue to train three mornings a week, under manager Hakan Hayrettin.”

Stones chief exec Bill Williams has been tasked with reopening the Gallagher Stadium
Stones chief exec Bill Williams has been tasked with reopening the Gallagher Stadium

Chief exec Williams, who has been tasked with reopening the stadium, said: "After an understandable lull, the hospitality, leisure and sporting sectors are starting to emerge from lockdown and we await further details from the Prime Minister later today (Tuesday).

“That in turn will guide the Football Association and National League as to the next steps in our return. The noises coming from both have been encouraging and we’re on notice for a comeback at relatively short notice.

“Firming up the training arrangements will help Hakan with his recruitment plans and I thank Terry and Oliver for making that decision now.

“Although it is something of a gamble, sticking with three mornings is a statement of intent and it also makes sense from a business and community perspective as we’re able to continue to host other community teams in our evening schedule.

“The three of us are looking to next season with renewed optimism. We’ve got some work to do with Hak on his return but are confident that with the right recruitment, backed up with a solid under-23 squad, we can come back strongly and be ready for the new campaign.”

Read more on sport in Kent


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More