Home   Malling   News   Article

Lorry causes 'havoc' by blocking in Larkfield Leisure Centre car park

By Luke May

A lorry driver who wreaked "havoc" at a leisure centre car park has lost his licence after admitting drink-driving.

Police were called to Larkfield Leisure Centre after a lorry pulled into its car park at around 5pm on Monday.

Despite attempts to guide the lorry out, the vehicle was left dumped until it could be picked up by a member of its haulage firm last night.

The lorry was stuck in Larkfield Leisure Centre car park.
The lorry was stuck in Larkfield Leisure Centre car park.

Martin Guyton is CEO of tmactive, the company behind the leisure centre.

He said: "The lorry pulled into Larkfield Leisure Centre’s car park at approximately 5pm on Monday 12th February.

"It had nothing to do with the centre. We assume the driver had taken a wrong turn and wanted to turn around. Instead the driver got out of the lorry leaving several cars belonging to our customers blocked in.

Visitor Kevin Reynolds said the deserted lorry wreaked "havoc" with gym goers on Tuesday.
Visitor Kevin Reynolds said the deserted lorry wreaked "havoc" with gym goers on Tuesday.

"Larkfield’s duty manager located the driver and offered to help him to reverse the vehicle out of the car park.

"The driver refused to reverse and instead attempted to drive around a tight corner, whereupon he hit a car.

"Centre staff immediately contacted the police who arrived at the scene and arrested the driver."

"This lorry was causing havoc" Kevin Reynolds

Following his arrest, the lorry was left dumped in the car park, causing problems for visitors to the New Hythe Lane leisure centre.

Kevin Reynolds parked up at the leisure centre yesterday morning.

The retired Wateringbury resident said: "It's always popular at half term and with the one way system to get into the car park, this lorry was causing havoc.

"There was a bit of debris on the back of the lorry, I'd say it was taking up one or two spaces.

"It will have to be reversed out."

Following his arrest, Hungarian driver Sandor Mihovich appeared at Medway Magistrates Court yesterday.

He admitted one count of drink driving, and was banned from driving for 28 months.

The 56-year-old was fined £350 and ordered to pay a £35 victim surcharge, as well as £85 in police costs.

A member of staff from Mihovich's haulage company was sent to the UK to move the lorry.

The centre confirmed the vehicle had been moved last night.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More