Home   Malling   News   Article

Paddock Wood: Man's body found on roadside in Collier Street

More news, no ads


A village is in shock following the discovery of a man's body.

Police and paramedics were called to Collier Street, at its junction with Jarmons Lane, after he was spotted by a driver just after 3am.

The man, believed to be in his 30s or 40s, was pronounced dead at the scene, which was cordoned off, while investigations were carried out

Collier Street was closed at the junction with Jarmons Lane following the discovery
Collier Street was closed at the junction with Jarmons Lane following the discovery

The man was found lying on the triangle of grass at the junction, with a tent erected at the scene.

Jason Day, a resident living near the Jarmons Lane junction, said he was woken by the emergency services. “Not a lot goes on around this end of Collier Street village. We are shocked, surprised and it is very sad news,” he added.

Another nearby resident said he left for work just before 5.30am and discovered the heavy police presence: “I drove up the road and saw it was all closed off.

"I spoke to the police and they said it was a serious incident but couldn’t tell me much.

“I had to go a completely different way as they had closed the road at both sides. It looked pretty serious, then my neighbour told me a body had been found.”

The scene where a man's body was found
The scene where a man's body was found

A Kent Police spokesman said the death is not being treated as suspicious at this stage.

A South East Coast Ambulance Service spokesman said an ambulance and a car were sent, but confirmed the man was dead upon their arrival.

Andrew Newman, 70, said: "I went out at about half 7 and was told the road was closed due to a serious accident and would likely be for most of the day.

"There's not many pavements around here and it can be quite dangerous to walk along the verge."

Andrew Newman said the road was closed when he left home
Andrew Newman said the road was closed when he left home

Brian Morrison, 75, said: "I took the dog for a walk at quarter to 9 and the road was closed from Haviker Street. There was a sign saying police accident and one of the officers confirmed there had been a serious accident. Police remained there until gone 10am.

"I had no idea someone had died."

Forge Lane was used as a diversion, with roads reopening just after 9.30am.

The case has not yet been passed into the care of the North West Kent Coroner.

There was much speculation among local residents that the death was caused by a hit and run, but police have been swift to quash such rumours.

A spokesman said: "There is no truth to it whatsoever."

Reports the man may have been an illegal immigrant are also false.

Stories you might have missed

Woman died of injuries after fall in road

'Welcome t**t!' - hotel's four-letter message

Masked raiders tape OAP's mouth shut in robbery

Eight-hour stand-off as prisoner scales roof

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More