Home   Medway   News   Article

'Don't drop my case' says campaigner beaten up in Gillingham for anti-Brexit T-shirt

By Chris Hunter

An anti-Brexit campaigner who was left battered and bruised by thugs is calling on police to continue investigating the assault.

Peter Cook, 60, was punched at Gillingham railway station on October 22 last year, after youths taunted him for wearing an anti-Brexit T-shirt.

Now police have told him Evidence Review Officers have made the decision for no further action in the case - prompting him to launch an official complaint.

Peter Cook was left with black eyes after the attack
Peter Cook was left with black eyes after the attack

"I just don’t get it," said Mr Cook.

"In October the police said I more or less had an open and shut case with CCTV, DNA and independent witnesses.

"Six months later, having identified the culprit and made an arrest, they say they don’t have sufficient evidence.

"I smell a rat and am seeking more information."

Mr Cook said he commended the BTP staff that had carried out the investigation but added, "now the case has been escalated to senior management, it appears to have been kicked into the long grass.

"I also had to appeal initially when BTP told me that the case had 'timed out'.

"I smell a rat and am seeking more information" - Peter Cook

"It rather seems that one must complain for things to happen. That can’t be right.

"I had been happy to seek restorative justice with the offender, but BTP appear to have closed this avenue by closing the case.

"I am seeking more clarity on this point."

A letter from British Transport Police to Mr Cook, dated Friday April 19, stated: "Since speaking with you last week our Evidence Review Officers have looked at the case file and have made the decision for no further action in this case.

"CCTV has been collated and reviewed and interviews have taken place with suspects involved but has returned with the decision of insufficient evidence which would not secure a realistic prospect of conviction of the suspects."

But BTP told KentOnline they were unable to comment further on proceedings.

Spokeswoman Allison Potter-Drake said: "It appears that a review under the Victims' Right to Review Scheme has been instigated and it would not be appropriate to comment before the outcome of that."

Read more: All the latest news from Medway

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More