Home   Medway   News   Article

Men released and BB gun recovered after armed stand-off in Luton Road, Chatham

Two men have been released without charge following a stand-off involving armed police that lasted several hours.

Officers retrieved a BB gun following the overnight incident in Luton Road, Chatham, on Friday night.

Video: A resident live streamed from inside the police cordon

Armed response units rushed to the street, with a police helicopter also called in.

A house was entered and two men were arrested and taken into custody.

Officers remained there after the arrests undertaking further searches inside the property.

Police spokesman Steve Knight said: "We were called at 9.10pm on June 27 to an alleged sighting of a firearm in Luton Road, Chatham.

Armed police were called to Luton Road, Chatham
Armed police were called to Luton Road, Chatham

"Officers, including armed response units, attended and a BB gun was recovered.

"Officers arrested two men at the scene, who were later released without charge after all available lines of enquiry were explored.

"Should further information come to light then police will investigate accordingly."

Residents on the same street used social media to document the event as it unfolded with thousands watching online and dozens of people on the street watching.

Live video showed a number of black-clad and masked officers with large guns. A dog handling unit was also in attendance.

Police outside the property in Luton Road, Chatham, on Friday
Police outside the property in Luton Road, Chatham, on Friday

Several officers at one point left the house and an officer could be heard asking: "How was he?", to which a returning colleague responded: "Yeah, all right."

Read more: All the latest news from Medway

More by this author

This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More