Home   Medway   News   Article

Four on trial charged with attempted murder of Perry Mulholland in Chatham

A teenager was mowed down by two cars and then repeatedly stabbed after a long running feud over a girl boiled over into violence, a court heard.

Ibrahiem Rahim, his brother Mohammed, Krystian Basciuk and Kaylli Stephens are said to have left 16-year-old Perry Mulholland fighting for his life.

“During the course of the attack concerted efforts were made to kill him - first by driving two motor vehicles at him and then by one of the defendants getting out of one of the vehicles, chasing him up the road and stabbing him repeatedly,” said prosecutor Simon Taylor.

Perry Mulholland
Perry Mulholland

Perry was left lying on the pavement in Upbury Way, Chatham, after Stephens, then 18, shoved him and knifed him from behind in the back, legs and on the inside of both arms, it was alleged.

“It follows that the Crown’s case is that this was obviously a concerted group attempt to kill Perry Mulholland,” Mr Taylor told a jury at Maidstone Crown Court.

He was living in sheltered accommodation at Regent House in Chatham High Street and his parents Linda and Anthony Mulholland lived nearby.

Perry was friends with the four until about two years before he was attacked on December 9 last year. They had all attended St John Fisher secondary school.

Mr Taylor said there was “significant animosity” after he fell out with them over a girl. There were other incidents leading up to the final violence.

In August 2015, Ibrahiem, known as Mo, Mohammed Rahim and Stephens went to Perry’s family home. There was a confrontation and Ibrahim Rahim lifted his jumper to show he had a knife, the court heard.

"It seems the feud simmered until it reached its culmination in early December 2016" - Simon Taylor

There was a fight and the three were chased away by Perry’s mother. The next day, the two brothers returned and attacked Mr Mulholland in the street with a knuckle duster, the jury was told.

“It seems the feud simmered until it reached its culmination in early December 2016,” said Mr Taylor.

On December 8, Perry told his mother Mohammed Rahim had chased him and tried to stab him.

Mrs Mulholland phoned Rahim and warned him: “You dare touch my son, I’ll kill you.” He replied: “Your son is a dead man.”

“The Crown say that’s exactly what happened a few hours later,” said Mr Taylor. “The defendants executed that threat.”

The next afternoon, Stephens waved a pair of surgical scissors at Mr Mulholland and shouted: “Your boy’s getting this tonight.”

Perry had on the evening of December 9 arranged for his sister-in-law Kirsty Cook to collect him to go and help her put up Christmas decorations.

Around the same time Ibraheim Rahim was getting into the driver’s seat of a Chevrolet Cruze with Stephens in the passenger seat. Mohammed Rahim and Basciuk got into a BMW.

At 7.42pm Miss Cook was on the phone to Perry telling him she was close by in her car.

Maidstone Crown Court
Maidstone Crown Court

Perry left Regent House and was crossing the road when he was knocked down by the Chevrolet. He got back up, only to be hit by the BMW.

Despite having a fractured rib and injured arm, he got up again and ran from the High Street into Upbury Way, chased by Stephens, it was alleged. He was caught and stabbed from behind multiple times.

Mr Taylor said Perry could not be sure who stabbed him, as he only caught a glimpse of the person chasing him.

He managed to run to Cavalier Place, where Miss Cook was parked. Dash cam footage showed him running and taking refuge in the car.

Holding his chest, he told Miss Cook: “I’ve been stabbed.” He had blood on his hands. On the way to Medway Hospital, he said: “I’m going to die.” He was admitted to A&E where doctors were struggling to keep him alive.

When arrested, Basciuk denied being present or harming the victim.

Mr Taylor said CCTV footage showed it to be nonsense. He was also subject to an electronic tag which registered close to Upbury Way at 7.45pm. Stephens’ device registered at the same time.

Perry was treated for multiple wounds to the chest, right thigh and elbows. He was transferred to King’s College Hospital in London on December 12 because of concern about his chest injury.

"This was a ferocious and persistent attack whereby the attackers did everything they could to kill Perry Mulholland" - Simon Taylor

He was then referred to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore to be treated for nerve damage.

“This was a ferocious and persistent attack whereby the attackers did everything they could to kill Perry Mulholland,” said Mr Taylor.

On December 28, Stephens changed his Facebook profile and included the comment: “man still drilling (emoji of a knife) beef aint finish (emoji of a red cross) dem man chicken (emoji of a baby chick).”

“On one view, this could well be a comment referring to the attack on Perry Mulholland suggesting there is unfinished business,” said Mr Taylor.

“This may seem rather strange given that Mr Stephens continues to claim that he wasn’t involved in the incident.”

Ibrahiem Rahim, 19, Mohammed Rahim, 22, both of Cobden Road, Stephens, 19, of Herman Terrace, Basciuk, 20, of Albany Road, had all denied attempted murder and an alternative charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent. But on Thursday, Stephens entered a guilty plea to the causing grievous bodily harm with intent charge. He continues to deny attempted murder.

The trial continues.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More