Published: 17:53, 28 June 2019
| Updated: 18:39, 28 June 2019
Awarding-winning garage artist Craig David will replace Jess Glynne.
Medway Council made the announcement this afternoon after negotiations with his management company.
It came after it was revealed yesterday that Rather Be star Jess had dropped out of performing on July 11 due to ill health.
She was set to be the big draw this year as council chiefs tried to revive the event after a disappointing 2018.
She proved a hit, with the £55-a-ticket gig, also featuring Scottish singer songwriter Nina Nesbitt, quickly selling out.
Popular act Craig David last appeared at the Castle Gardens venue two years ago, selling out both his shows.
The R&B star will be back in Kent in August when he appears at the Neverworld Festival.
Cllr Howard Doe, cabinet member forcommunity services, said: “The Castle Concerts are a much-loved annual event and we are delighted to still be able to offer four nights of great entertainment this year.
"We are also thrilled to be welcoming Craig David back to the stage at Rochester Castle – he was incredibly popular when he joined us in 2017 and we are very much looking forward to his performance.”
Tickets will cost £45 and priority will be given to people with Jess Glynne tickets.
If you would like to transfer your ticket to see Craig David contact the Box Office on 01634 338338 or call in at the Central or Brook Theatres from 10am on Monday, July 1 until Tuesday, July 2.
The difference will be funded and new tickets issued.
Tickets will then go on general sale from 10am on Wednesday, July 3.
Meanwhile, Labour has called on the Tory-run council to break its silence over the financial health of the summer concerts
It wants the council to clarify the situation and take on board its calls to pursue significant sponsorship in future.
Rochester West's Cllr Alex Paterson, who is part of the council's regeneration, culture and environment overview and scrutiny committee, said: "It’s really unfortunate Jess Glynne has had to cancel her concert at Rochester Castle Gardens this summer, and while that’s really disappointing for people who bought tickets this summer for that event, what I’m really concerned about is the wider liability for taxpayers.
"We heard an awful lot when the Castle Concerts was announced that the Jess Glynne show was a sell-out but since then the silence has been deafening when it comes to reporting ticket sales for the other series of concerts at Rochester Castle Gardens, and last year taxpayers subsidised the concerts to the tune of £305,000.
"We were assured that was not going to happen again this news makes me really worried that we are going to face a very similar situation this year. It’s really important that Medway Council clarifies the situation as soon as possible."
Speaking on Wednesday, Cllr Howard Doe, portfolio holder for community services, said: “We are extremely disappointed and know that Jess Glynne's fans for this sell out concert will be equally as devastated. We are urgently looking at other options for ticket holders which we will announce as soon as possible."
As well as Craig David, the four-day concerts will feature stars like Rudimental and Collabro.
More by this authorEd McConnell