Published: 10:00, 02 November 2015
| Updated: 10:24, 02 November 2015
A head teacher who was arrested on suspicion of possessing indecent images of children has appeared in court.
Tim Watson, 55, had been charged with seven counts of making indecent photographs of a child, after originally being arrested in April.
Watson, who resigned from Cliffe Woods Primary School, after being on “personal leave,” had not been at work inside the school in View Road, since Easter.
The Medway Messenger first broke the story of his arrest in June when a police spokeswoman confirmed a man from Gillingham was arrested on suspicion of possessing indecent images of children.
He was initially bailed but last month police revealed Watson, who has now moved to Nottingham, had been charged.
Parents who have pupils at the school were sent a letter before the end of summer holidays from chairman of governors, Dianne Foreman, explaining that she had accepted Mr Watson’s resignation effective from August 31.
The letter also announced the appointment of Sarah Robins as interim deputy head and said the school would continue to be supported by The Williamson Trust for as long as was required.
Parents expressed their anger on social media after the Medway Messenger broke the news of Mr Watson’s arrest in June, complaining that the school had not informed them before it was published in the paper.
They were sent a letter from interim head teacher Amanda Weallans on the day of publication, apologising for not contacting them sooner, but said the school was following advice from the police.
The school was rated outstanding by Ofsted following a recent inspection when Mr Watson was described as “an inspirational leader”.
Last month, a spokesman for police in Medway added: “Timothy Watson, 55, of Silvern Avenue, Nottingham, has been charged with seven counts of making indecent photographs of a child.
He appeared before magistrates in Medway this morning and the case against him was sent to Maidstone Crown Court to be dealt with.
Watson didn't enter any pleas in relation to the charges and will next appear at the crown court on November 27.
He was granted bail until then.
More by this authorKentOnline reporter