Published: 12:38, 01 August 2020
| Updated: 12:56, 01 August 2020
Drivers are being warned of heavy traffic following the closure of New Bridge in Rochester.
The bridge shut last night, and is scheduled to be closed until Monday, August 3 while resurfacing of the road takes place.
Last month bridge clerk Sue Threader said: “This will be the first time we have closed the bridge in the 14 years I have been in my role. It’s not a decision that was taken lightly. This closure is to enable lead contractor FM Conway to resurface the entire bridge in one go.
“This will allow for a continuous surface to be laid and should reduce the need for future maintenance.
“The alternative would have been to lay the surface in stages but this can increase the likelihood of potholes, and the need for future road works.
“We apologise for the inconvenience this closure will cause.”
Senior contracts manager Liam McGoldrick says the works are weather dependent and it must be dry and not hot.
For more information you can visit here.
More by this authorChris Hunter
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)