Published: 12:06, 27 June 2019
| Updated: 18:43, 28 June 2019
Jess Glynne has pulled out of the Rochester Castle Concerts weeks after she cancelled another festival appearance at the last minute.
The Rather Be star was the big draw this year as council chiefs tried to revive the event after a disappointing 2018.
She proved a hit, with the £55-a-ticket gig, also featuring Scottish singer songwriter Nina Nesbitt, quickly selling out.
But this morning, just two weeks before she was due to take the stage, it has been revealed the seven-time chart-topping artist will not be performing on doctor's orders.
In a statement posted to her legions of Twitter fans she said she had taken the decision following medical advice.
She said: "It absolutely kills me to say this — especially given what has happened in the past few weeks — but on the advice of my vocal surgeon, I am going to have to cancel my next few shows through until July 14 and I hope to be back as soon as possible after that.
"I know so many of my fans feel I let them down so badly when I pulled out of the Isle of Wight festival but the reason I felt I wasn't going to be able to make it has now been made clear to me by my doctor."
She goes on to address rumours she pulled out of the festival after partying with the Spice Girls saying while she went out with them she has been suffering for some time with anxiety about her voice.
She has been advised to rest her voice for 10 days to recover having performed 100 shows in six months.
It comes following a tumultuous few weeks for the 29-year-old.
She joined the Spice Girls on their reunion tour but then cancelled her Isle of Wight slot minutes before she was due to go on stage, resulting in organisers banning her for life.
She later released a statement saying she had suffered a panic attack.
Cllr Howard Doe, Portfolio Holder for Community Services at Medway Council, said: “We are saddened to let you all know that, due to ill health, Jess Glynne has cancelled her performance at Castle Concerts on Thursday, 11 July and a number of other upcoming commitments.We are extremely disappointed and know that her fans for this sell out concert will be equally as devastated. We are urgently looking at other options for ticket holders which we will announce as soon as possible.
“Our other fantastic shows as part of this year’s Castle Concerts -Rudimental (July 10), Soul Party (July 12) and The Proms (July 13) will still be going ahead as planned and ticket holders are welcome to transfer to these other shows and the difference in the ticket prices will be refunded.
“Ticket holders wishing to come on another evening or those wanting a full refund will be contacted by our box office over the next few days.
“We wish Jess a full and speedy recovery and hope to welcome her to Rochester in the future.”
The announcement means she will also not perform at Forest Live in Pickering on Saturday, Hugary's Balaton Sound next Wednesday, Cannock Chase Forest next Friday, The Wyldes next Saturday, Stadiwm Zipworld in Conwy, Wales, next Sunday and Kew Gardens on Wednesday, July 10.
In 2017 a record 20,435 tickets were sold for Wet Wet Wet, two nights of Craig David, The Magic of Motown and the proms finale.
But last year’s event, which included Ronan Keating and Jools Holland, saw crowds drop to 11,479.
The five nights, which did have to compete with the World Cup and the recently introduced booze ban, which stays in place this year, made a loss of £305,000.
Medway Council bosses vowed to win back audiences by bringing in some big name guests for this year’s event.
The concerts held in the grounds of the castle will get underway on Wednesday, July 10 with genre-defying dance music act Rudimental performing a DJ set with big name support from Example and BRIT nominee Mahalia.
Industry legend George McCrae will take charge of the Soul Party on Friday before Britain's Got Talent winning Collabro, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Laura Wright bring things to a close with a proms finale on Saturday, July 14.
More by this authorEd McConnell
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)