Home   Medway   News   Article

Man rescued by firefighters after pan of oil sparks fire at flat in Canterbury Street, Gillingham

Firefighters had to rescue a man from his home after a late-night fire broke out in his kitchen.

The blaze at a flat in Canterbury Street in Gillingham started some time before 1am today and is believed to have been caused by a pan of oil overheating.

Canterbury Street in Gillingham. Picture: Google Street View
Canterbury Street in Gillingham. Picture: Google Street View

Two fire engines were sent to the scene and firefighters were able to lead the man from the property and he was then treated by paramedics for suspected smoke inhalation.

They then used main jets and hose reel jets to extinguish the flames, before using a high pressured fan to clear the property of smoke.

No other casualties were reported and the fire crews were able to leave shortly before 2.30am.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: "Following the incident, crews are reminding people to take extra care in the kitchen and to always keep looking while you're cooking. If you need to leave the room, make sure to switch off any cooking appliances that are in use and remove any pans from the hob, oven or grill.

"Also, remember to have a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and to test it weekly to ensure it provides early warning in the event of a fire."

Read more: All the latest news from Medway

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More