Published: 09:39, 24 October 2020
| Updated: 09:50, 24 October 2020
A man was treated by paramedics after a candle left burning overnight set fire to a dressing gown in the early hours of this morning.
The fire service was called to Shakespeare Road, Gillingham , at about 4.40am after the flames spread from the night robe to the bedroom door it was hanging on.
The resident was woken up by his smoke alarm going off and called 999/
He had to be treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.
Two fire engines were sent to the scene, with the blaze put out at just after 6am.
The incident has prompted the fire service to warn people to be careful when using candles at home.
It says they should be fitted in a candle holder and placed on a non-flammable surface, shouldn't be left unattended, shouldn't be close to curtains, bedding, clothing or plants, and should be extinguished before going to bed.
The service also says residents should remember to buy a smoke alarm and test it regularly.