Published: 11:00, 11 September 2021
| Updated: 11:14, 11 September 2021
A pub in St Mary's Island has been forced to close after a fire caused significant damage overnight.
Four fire engines were called to the Ship and Trades in Maritime Way just after 11pm where it's believed the blaze started in a tumble dryer.
Teams are working to assess the damage at the pub, which is part of the Shepherd Neame group.
A statement on Facebook said: "We have tonight had a fire that will mean that we will not be able to trade.
"We will be able to assess the damage in the morning and see when we can trade.
"Our team will work as quickly as possible to get the business up and running again.
"If you have a booking in the hotel or restaurant we will be making contact as soon as possible.
"Thank you for your understanding."
Crews wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire using hose jets and spent two hours on the scene.
Shepherd Neame’s Director of Retail and Tenanted Pubs Nigel Bunting said: “We have temporarily closed the Ship and Trades in Chatham after a fire caused significant damage at the site on Friday evening.
"No-one was injured as a result of the fire, which we believe was caused by an electrical fault.
"All customers and team members were evacuated quickly and safely and we arranged for the transfer of guests staying with us to a local hotel where they will remain while we assess the damage.
"We would like to thank the fire service for their fast response.”
While nobody was seriously injured, fire crews say a man was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.