Published: 13:58, 13 May 2021
| Updated: 14:38, 13 May 2021
A boy was taken to hospital after an accident with a javelin at a school in Rainham.
Ambulances were called to Rainham Mark Grammar School after a 14-year-old was injured when collecting a javelin he had thrown during a PE lesson.
Headteacher Alan Moore said the injury was "very unpleasant and painful for him" and that he would receive full support from the school
Mr Moore said: "The wound was at the top of his leg – but it sounds like he’s going to be completely fine.
"Some of the other students were a bit shocked and upset at the time obviously, but we have kept them up to date and, of course, his friends have been in frequent contact with him via social media, so they know he is ok and I am sure that they are all fine now."
He noted the incident, which happened on Monday, did not involve a javelin in flight, nor any other student, and added: "We will, of course, be supporting him during the short time we expect him to be out of school – and on his return if that proves necessary."
South East Coast Ambulance Service confirmed they attended the school and an injured pupil was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital.