Home   Medway   News   Article

Martin's newsagent in Rainham targeted by ramraiders

More news, no ads


A witness has described watching in horror as ramraiders repeatedly smashed a 4x4 into a cash machine beneath his flat.

The raid happened in the early hours of this morning at Parkwood Green, Rainham, where the raiders attempted to steal a cash point in the wall of Martin's Newsagent.

"I watched it all," said the witness, who did not wish to be identified.

The scene at Martin's on Friday morning.
The scene at Martin's on Friday morning.

"I went to bed about about 12.20am and I was just dropping off. Then about 12.50am I heard a car revving up.

"I just thought it was joyriders over the back of the shops. Then all of a sudden I heard an almighty bang. I got up and as I looked out the window this Jeep or Defender was reversing into the cash machine.

"They rammed it three or four times, then the 4x4 turned round on an angle, and I saw one of them get out. The next thing he shouted 'go on', and the jeep pulled away. All of a sudden they stopped.

"I thought they were trying to get a rope or chain around the machine, but then the driver shouted 'get in'. Then he sped off around the corner.

"While all this was going on I called the police. I tried to take a picture but it was too dark, and I've since heard they've got some CCTV.

"I was quite shaken up. The way it was ramming the building, the whole wall was shaking. They're fairly old buildings."

The witness, who was later interviewed by police, said he only saw two raiders - the driver and a passenger - and that the attempted raid lasted between five and ten minutes.

Police at the scene of the ram raid. Picture: @willbungay
Police at the scene of the ram raid. Picture: @willbungay

It is not known how much was snatched in the attack, but it is thought the raiders left empty handed.

The shop was closed while police investigated the scene, but reopened just before 11am.

A shop worker, who did not wish to be named, said: "It looks a right state. It obviously took a lot of force. It's all cordoned off and the police are still here.

"We shall be closed for the day. My manager got a call from the police at about 1.30am so it must have happened just before that. She called me at 7.30am.

"I've just arrived and it was quite a shock to see what they have done."

The store is in a parade of shops in the Parkwood Green precinct.

Stories you might have missed

Body of pensioner found after 'disturbance'

Diabetic dad died after visit to hospital for insulin

Police hunting sex pest

Toxic smog threatens Kent

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More