Home   Medway   News   Article

Fire in flat in Green Street, Gillingham thought to have been started by candle

A fire which damaged a flat has sparked a warning from firefighters after it was found to have been started by a candle.

Crews were called to the property in Green Street, Gillingham yesterday lunchtime to a fire in a bedroom.

A safety warning has been issued by crews after the blaze in Green Street, Gillingham
A safety warning has been issued by crews after the blaze in Green Street, Gillingham

Two fire engines were sent to help put out the fire and firefighers wearing breathing apparatus entered the home.

They used a hose reel jet and a main jet to put out the flames and then ventilated the property with a high pressure fan.

No injuries were reported and all the flat's occupants were outside the property when crews arrived shortly after midday on Sunday.

The cause is believed to be accidental and started by a candle flame setting bedding alight.

But fortunately the blaze was contained to the bedroom before spreading to other parts of the flat, the fire service said.

Firefighters believe the fire started when a candle set part of the flat alight
Firefighters believe the fire started when a candle set part of the flat alight

The incident has now led to safety advice being issued by the fire service about using candles in the home.

The advice includes ensuring candles are well away from flammable items, fitted in a candle holder and placed on a non-flammable surface.

Crews have also reminded people to never leave them unattended when lit and extinguish fully when leaving the room.

Read more: All the latest news from Medway

Read more


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More