Published: 19:37, 19 October 2020
| Updated: 19:54, 19 October 2020
A primary school will remain shut for the rest of the week due to an outbreak of several coronavirus cases.
Cedar Children's Academy in Strood reported its first positive test last week and was forced to close entirely today after confirming more cases at the weekend .
All pupils have been sent home for the rest of half-term, KMTV reports
Pupils and staff will now not return for the rest of this half-term, the school announced this afternoon.
The school will be closed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to all pupils and staff.
A staff training day was originally scheduled to take place on Friday meaning children would not have come in anyway.
The school sent its entire Year 3 bubble home last week after a child and staff member first contracted Covid-19.
Headteacher Kirstie Jones confirmed "additional staff and children had tested positive" in a Facebook post and letters to parents on Sunday.
After the initial cases reported last Wednesday, Mrs Jones said additional safety measures had been introduced including closing shared spaces, marking safety zones and using a one-way system, face coverings and a one adult policy for drop-off and pick-up.
Siblings or family members of the confirmed cases were also told to self-isolate which Mrs Jones said meant "all other students have been able to continue to attend school".
But after taking further advice from Public Health England following the confirmed cases announced yesterday, the school will shut for half-term now.
Speaking last week, Mrs Jones said: "The health and safety of our students and staff is paramount - ensuring that has been our absolute priority and at the forefront of every decision we have made during Covid-19.
"We have followed our procedures, drawn from the official guidance, and spoken with Public Health England.
"I understand that this is a challenging time but I would like to reiterate that we are taking every precaution available and following the guidance to the letter.
"The staff at the school and our Trust continue to show great professionalism and I would like to thank them for their hard work, and our parents for their support.”
Remote learning for the school's 600 pupils across all year groups has been put in place via online classes.
"The health and safety of our students and staff is paramount - ensuring that has been our absolute priority"
Parents have been advised to contact the school by email with any queries while the site is closed.
Key worker provision will continue running at the school and anyone requiring help have been asked to return the forms sent by the school.
The school said parents can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.