Published: 06:00, 20 August 2019
The father of a woman who suffered severe burns after a petrol station exploded in Cambodia has told how she is undergoing daily surgery and is in intensive care.
Zoe Eleftheriou, 22, of Rochester, has been transferred to a hospital in Bangkok, Thailand and her mother Mary has flown out to be by her bedside.
Zoe had been teaching English at a school in the resort town of Siem Reap, home to seventh world wonder Angkor Wat, since January.
Her work colleague American Abigail Alexander, 18, had been with her on a motorbike returning for afternoon lessons last Wednesday when a tanker delivering fuel exploded.
Speaking from his Rochester home Zoe's father Christopher Eleftheriou said his daughter had a passion for travelling and helping others.
Last August she had been a holiday representative on an island off Bali when an earthquake struck. She came to the rescue and supported distressed tourists caught up in the disaster.
The former head girl of Thomas Aveling School, Rochester, who has travelled all over the world kept in touch with her close-knit family wherever she went.
Her brother David, 26, was due to fly out to spend a week with her and she had organised a fun-packed itinerary for the two of them.
Mr Eleftheriou said: "She had a good insurance policy so they were able to fly her out to a specialist hospital where she is in the best care. Zoe has a strong character. She is an amazing girl and truly inspirational.
"There's a close bond between her and Abbey being both English-speaking Westerners.They had gone home for lunch and were on their way back to school when this happened."
A fund has been set up for Abbey and so far more than £20,000 ($25,000) has been raised. You can donate here.