Home   Medway   News   Article

Chatham record label boss inspired by Tupac admits firing blanks from penthouse balcony

More news, no ads


A Chatham record label boss has admitted firing blanks from handguns frightening his neighbours, a judge has heard.

Michael Alunomoh, 34, was listening to Tupac's 'Hit 'Em Up', which includes the lyrics 'Grab ya Glocks, when you see Tupac. Call the cops, when you see Tupac' just before the incident.

Michael Alunomoh AKA Flexing Mike has admitted firing blanks from handguns
Michael Alunomoh AKA Flexing Mike has admitted firing blanks from handguns

The CEO of Truth or Dare Records repeatedly shot the weapons into the air from Marina Point East in Chatham Dockside in April 2020 resulting in calls to the police who sent out armed officers.

Last year his trial was dramatically halted when a judge fell ill and a re-trial was set for Maidstone Crown Court. But today, minutes before it was due to begin, he changed his pleas.

Alunomoh admitted three offences of possessing imitation firearms – including two blank-firing 9mm self-loading pistols and a Camp assault rifle – and intending to cause fear of violence.

During the first trial, the jury heard how he had told police that a voice in his head had told him to "disturb the peace" that morning so police would arrest him and give him the treatment he needed.

Now Alunomoh is expected to receive a sentence under the Mental Health Act when the hearing resumes on January 26.

Armed police at Chatham Dockside
Armed police at Chatham Dockside

Three psychiatrists had all agreed the dad-of-one was suffering "a disease of the mind" at the time.

Dr Bernard Chin had revealed that Alunomoh, who claimed to be Tupac's reincarnation, had told him that he took the words as an instruction to "grab his guns and summon police".

Dr Chin added: "I asked him what he did after hearing the lyrics and he told me he fired his guns from the balcony."

But when asked whether he thought the song had an 'impact' on Alunomoh's behaviour, the psychiatrist replied: "I think he was inspired by it."

The court heard Alunomoh also made bizarre claims that he was "a king waiting to be crowned" and a scientist with a cure for Covid.

The scene at Chatham Dockside after Alunomoh was arrested. Picture: Chris Davey
The scene at Chatham Dockside after Alunomoh was arrested. Picture: Chris Davey

On March 23, 2020, he had been sectioned after police spotted him driving erratically and, having pulled him over, he got out of his car and started eating grass.

But he convinced doctors he was no longer hearing voices and was later released.

The court also heard that he had phoned police the night before the gun incident saying "something was wrong" in his head.

Alunomoh told police: "I was shooting. I was not killing anybody. I was just doing my own thing because it's still in my head.

"I kept shooting. Bang, bang, bang, bang. Then the police came and I said 'You have to treat me, you have to help me'."

The penthouse balcony. Picture: Chris Davey
The penthouse balcony. Picture: Chris Davey

He denied his intention was to scare people. "If it was, I would be shooting, I would be aiming," he said. "I was just doing it to the sky and shouting 'Call the police'."

Since the aborted trial, Alunomoh has been receiving treatment in hospital and was returned there pending sentence later this month.

Barry Kogan, defending, said his client was currently an in-patient at a low-level psychiatric unit, having been transferred there from prison in October last year.

He added that Alunomoh had since been diagnosed with either a schizo-affective or bipolar-affective disorder "with psychotic components" but added his condition had become "more stable" with appropriate and regular medication.

Mr Kogan asked the court to consider imposing an order that Alunomoh be detained under the Mental Health Act or be given a jail term that would lead to his immediate release, having served the equivalent of a three-year and four-month jail term on remand.

He also said his client, who has no previous convictions, was supported by his long-term girlfriend and now had a fixed address in Birmingham to return to.

Before adjourning sentence, Recorder David Jeremy QC remarked that it was "highly desirable if practicable that he be treated in a hospital environment rather than a custodial environment".

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More