Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Burton Albion 1 Gillingham 1: Jordan Graham’s strike cancelled out by Ryan Broom

More news, no ads


Gillingham were denied a win on their final away game of the season after conceding a last-minute goal.

Jordan Graham gave Gillingham a first half lead but the Gills couldn’t hang on as substitute Ryan Broom struck the equaliser.

Jordan Graham put Gillingham ahead at the break against Burton Albion
Jordan Graham put Gillingham ahead at the break against Burton Albion

Gillingham’s play-off hopes were all-but over before kick off but the team were determined to end the campaign on a high against a home side who had done well to pull clear from relegation worries.

Boss Steve Evans made three changes to his starting line-up, with defenders Ryan Jackson and Robbie Cundy missing. There was also a change up top as Olly Lee moved to partner Vadaine Oliver which meant Dominic Samuel dropping to the bench.

It was a good positive start from the Gills but they took some time to make it count.

Joe Powell shot wide for the hosts while Olly Lee put one over the bar for Gillingham and another in the net but the linesman’s flag ruled out the second effort

Graham, who made his Gills debut at Burton last season, put his side ahead in the 37th minute with a cool finish after good work from Vadaine Oliver to create the opening, rounding the keeper before finishing.

The hosts had put a few half chances wide of the mark, leaving keeper Jack Bonham relatively untroubled. Their best chance fell to Hayden Carter but from just a few yards out he volleyed over.

Burton’s Lucas Akins fired over in the second half as clear-cut chances remained hard to come by for the home side.

The home coaching staff were struggling to keep their focus, Dino Maamria getting a booking from the referee after an exchange of opinions with Gills boss Evans and assistant Paul Raynor.

Dempsey looked to create a chance of his own for the Gills, beating one man and driving into the box but his shot hit Oliver.

Burton used a number of attacking substitutes to try and get back into the game and an equaliser finally came on 90 minutes when Ryan Broom fired low into the bottom corner.

Burton: O’Hara, Hamer, Earl, Taylor, Brayford, Edwards (Gallagher 12mins (Rowe 70mins)), Powell (Broom 84mins), Clare, Carter, Hemmings (Fondop 70mins), Akins. Subs not used: Barnes, O’Toole, Gilligan, Rowe.

Gillingham: Bonham, McKenzie, O’Connor, Ogilvie, Tucker, O’Keefe, Dempsey, MacDonald, Graham, Lee (Samuel 74mins), Oliver (Akinde 80mins). Subs not used: Bastien, Willock, Johnson, Woods, Lintott

Referee: Ben Toner

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More