Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Bury 0 Gillingham 1 – match report

Luke Norris bagged the points for the Gills at Bury.

Norris put Gillingham ahead in the opening half with his seventh of the season.

Brennan Dickenson cleared a Bury shot off the line in the second half as the Gills hung on to take the points.

Gillingham celebrate their winning goal at Bury Picture: Barry Goodwin
Gillingham celebrate their winning goal at Bury Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gillingham had failed to win any of their previous seven away from home prior to the Easter Monday clash, the last coming against Swindon on Boxing Day.

The victory ensured Justin Edinburgh’s men held onto fourth place in League 1.

Adam El-Abd returned to Gillingham’s defence to line up against his former club, who he helped win promotion from League 2 last season.

A bonus for the Gills on the bench was Cody McDonald’s inclusion, back for the first time since breaking a bone in his foot at Millwall on December 19.

El-Abd and the rest of the Gills defence managed to keep Bury at arm’s length in the first half, restricting the home side to half chances.

Gillingham were unable to make the most of a good early start, winning a flurry of corners infront of the travelling fans, but they took the lead on 27 minutes.

Norris had scored Gillingham’s equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Southend last time out and he was on hand to finish once again. Josh Wright had seen his chance blocked but Norris was there to convert from close-range off the rebound.

Bury dangerman on the left, Danny Mayor, hobbled off injured and Bury’s poor finishing infront of goal continued. Ryan Lowe had a good chance at the near post but sliced the ball over the bar.

A good early second half chance fell to Ryan Jackson, after Bury had failed to clear their lines, but keeper Chris Neal turned the shot over.

Dominic Samuel curled a good chance over for the Gills on the hour but the Gills almost conceded in embarrassing circumstances. Chris Hussey’s free-kick was whipped in and Nelson couldn’t hold on but he was relieved to see Brennan Dickenson head clear off the line.

It came just moments after a Hussey’s shot almost squirmed through Nelson’s legs, the Gills keeper taking it at the second attempt. The Bury left-back remained a threat and a free-kick on 78 minutes just needed a touch from a number of players waiting to pounce.

A wasteful effort from Bury’s John O’Sullivan, firing well over, summed up their day.

The officials added on an extra eight minutes, in part due to Max Ehmer picking up a late facial injury. Joe Riley fired wide from distance for Bury but the Gills kept them at bay.

Bury: Neal, Riley, Hussey, Clarke, Mayor (Gardner 29mins), Lowe, O’Sullivan, Soares, Pugh (Brown 81mins), Bolger, Delfouneso (Rose 59mins). Subs not used: Ruddy, Sedgwick, Burgess.

Gillingham: Nelson, Jackson (Garmston 71mins), Dickenson, Ehmer (Hessenthaler 90mins), El-Abd, Oshilaja, Wright, Crofts, A Morris, Samuel, Norris (Donnelly 75mins). Subs not used: G Morris, McDonald, McGlashan, Osadebe.

Attendance: 2,907 (291 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More