Published: 06:00, 27 May 2020
| Updated: 06:57, 27 May 2020
Steve Evans has already drawn up plans for a new campaign regardless of what happens with this one.
If the League 1 season is curtailed, which seems the most likely scenario at present, then the Gillingham manager will have to decide which players he wants to keep from those with expiring contracts. He already knows who he wants.
Just eight senior players remain in contract beyond this summer and among those nearing the end of their current deals are captain Max Ehmer, last year’s player-of-the-year Barry Fuller, injured midfielder Mark Byrne and striker Brandon Hanlan.
Evans has had plenty of time to consider who he wants and who he doesn’t and even if play resumes, those remaining games are unlikely to change his mind.
The manager is waiting patiently for a decision on whether play will resume. Clubs in League 1 are voting on that this week.
“I will certainly be at the club next week,” he said.
“I will either be putting things in place very quickly with the staff to get the players in so we are up and running or we will be bringing the lads in over two or three days and we can do it at a distance, they deserve the meetings face to face, good or bad.
“We have a number players out of contract, players in contract, the chairman knows my views on every one of them.
“I hear people say that for the last seven or eight games it might change people’s opinion but that doesn’t happen many times, that is in comic books. We have had 35 league games and also cup games to look at people.
“I know exactly where I am going, exactly where I am going if we are going into the play-offs and how to get us promoted and know exactly where we are going if we’re not. The chairman has endorsed every decision.”
The general feeling is that the League 1 season will be curtailed, in line with that of League 2. The decision is being delayed by the fact that a handful of teams are adamant they want to play on and are happy to pay for a chance to get promoted - or avoid relegation.
Evans is happy to carry on too and preparations have been made incase that happens.
“We are ready to go,” he said.
“The training pitch should be in great condition. We are just looking forward to getting back on the grass and getting the balls out and preparing.”
Gillingham won’t bring their players back, however, until they get the go-ahead to resume the season.
The Gills squad has been ticking over at home since mid-March and haven’t played a league game since snatching a late point at Sunderland on March 7.
More by this authorLuke Cawdell
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)