Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham's game at Bury will be suspended unless the League 1 club can meet the EFL's latest deadline

Gillingham are still waiting to find out if their weekend game at Bury is to be played.

The Gills issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon saying that they were yet to receive confirmation from the EFL.

Bury owner Steve Dale was given a deadline of 9am on Tuesday morning to provide the league with the outstanding documents that they have requested.

Gillingham’s Connor Ogilvie challenges with Bury's Zeli Ismail at Gigg Lane
Gillingham’s Connor Ogilvie challenges with Bury's Zeli Ismail at Gigg Lane

The EFL want assurances that the club can meet their commitments to pay off creditors and have funds to sustain a season in the division.

Failure to do so will mean that their home game against the Gills, scheduled for Saturday, will be suspended.

Bury - who face being kicked out of the league in 10 days from now - have already seen their opening two league games called off, along with their EFL Cup match against Sheffield Wednesday.

Gills chairman Paul Scally said: "It is in my view that this game on Saturday will also be postponed.

"As such I would suggest supporters hold off making travel plans for as long as possible until the EFL is able to make a decision.

"Clearly we would hope the game will be played and I am sure the EFL will want to give Bury as long as possible to find a remedy, but with the little information I have received, there is certainly a doubt."

An EFL statement on Monday said: "Despite further exchanges of correspondence and a meeting earlier today, Mr Dale has still not provided the required clarity on how he plans to meet the Club’s commitments to football creditors, payment to unsecured creditors as part of the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), alongside source and sufficiency of funding for season 2019/20."

Bury have already been issued with a notice of withdrawal of membership by the EFL and they have until August 23 to meet all outstanding requirements of the League’s insolvency policy or its membership of the EFL will be withdrawn.

Gillingham chairman Paul Scally is doubtful the Bury game will go ahead this weekend Picture: Ady Kerry
Gillingham chairman Paul Scally is doubtful the Bury game will go ahead this weekend Picture: Ady Kerry

EFL cxecutive chair Debbie Jevans said: “We remain disappointed that we are still not in a position to reach a successful conclusion with Mr Dale but will continue to work diligently in an effort to receive the information we require.

“The real threat of Bury’s EFL membership being withdrawn still exists, a situation nobody - including this Board - wants to see and I sincerely hope we can find a way through these challenging circumstances for the benefit of all those who have an association with the Club.”

Gillingham have been selling tickets for the match at Gigg Lane but with a warning that previous fixtures had been suspended.

A statement on Bury's own website on Monday, written by the staff, said that there was an offer to buy the club and they urged the owner to accept it.

It read: "We can confirm that today we have received an offer for the sale of Bury Football Club, one that we all at the club believe is a very good offer.

"This offer has been conveyed to Steve Dale and we are still waiting to hear from him.

"This offer is the only lifeline for the future of the club and we implore Steve Dale to accept it, as it has the full backing of all of the senior staff at Bury FC."

Mr Dale is keen to sell, telling BBC Radio Manchester: "I am happy to pass the club on to the next custodian. For an agreed consideration and them being the right fit for Bury"

Read more: The latest sports news from Kent

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More