Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham 0 Swindon Town 0 - match report

Gillingham were held to a goalless draw by Swindon on Saturday.

The Gills bossed the first half but were unable to make it count, hitting the woodwork early on through Rory Donnelly.

Windy conditions at Priestfield made it tough for both teams and for the second game running the Gills failed to find the net.

Gillingham's Rory Donnelly Picture: Barry Goodwin
Gillingham's Rory Donnelly Picture: Barry Goodwin

They made just one change to their starting XI, as Donnelly replaced Luke Norris up front.

The Northern Irish striker didn’t have long to wait for a chance, breaking clear with just four minutes gone after a slip by defender Nathan Thompson, but he fired against a post.

A dominant half from the Gills failed to produce a goal but they should have had a chance from the penalty spot with 10 minutes gone.

Bradley Dack’s back-heel found Ryan Jackson and the busy right-back was tripped in the box by Brandon Ottewill when seemingly in on goal. Referee Andy Woolmer ignored the appeals.

Gills boss Justin Edinburgh was seething on the sideline after several more decisions went Swindon’s way, including a challenge from Thompson on Dominic Samuel. The Gills striker could have been clean through after the coming-together, but Mr Woolmer again wasn’t interested.

Sporadic chances fell Swindon’s way and Jon Obika twice came close, rifling one chance into the side netting and seeing another deflected wide by Max Ehmer.

Dack curled an effort just wide for the Gills and Josh Wright’s 25-yard effort was tipped over by Swindon keeper Lawrence Vigouroux.

Gillingham, with the wind advantage in the first 45, had eight corners but were unable to make the most of their chances. The break came with the scores still level.

Swindon were livelier at the start of the second half. Anton Rodgers’ shot was comfortably dealt with by keeper Stuart Nelson but chances for both teams were at a premium in tricky conditions.

With 15 minutes left Dack had a tame shot saved, either side of a dangerous Bradley Barry shot that Nicky Ajose connected onto and an Obika shot that was deflected past a post.

Gills defender John Egan bent a shot just wide with three minutes left.

Gillingham: Nelson, Jackson, Chicksen (Dickenson 83mins), Egan, Ehmer, A Morris, Wright, Dack, Loft, Donnelly (List 90mins), Samuel (Norris 83mins). Subs not used: G Morris, Hessenthaler, McGlashan, Osadebe.

Swindon Town: Vigouroux, Barry, Thompson, Turnbull, Ormonde-Ottewill, Kasim (Brophy 84mins), Rodgers (Iandolo 61mins), Doughty, Robert (Marshall 75mins), Obika, Ajose. Subs not used: Belford, Balmy, Hylton, Cooke.

Attendance: 6,398 (260 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More