Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Peterborough United 1 Gillingham 1 - match report

Gillingham conceded a last-minute equaliser at Peterborough on Saturday.

Luke Norris twice hit the woodwork for the Gills before Adedeji Oshilaja put them ahead with five minutes left.

Peterborough went close as Kyle Vassell smashed an effort off the bar before Jon Taylor netted the leveller on 90 minutes - a goal Gills felt was offside.

Adedeji Oshilaja celebrates his goal with John Egan Picture: Barry Goodwin
Adedeji Oshilaja celebrates his goal with John Egan Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gillingham boss Justin Edinburgh reverted to the starting line-up that faced Wigan the week before in the league.

It meant recalls into the team for John Egan, Bradley Dack, Luke Norris and Brennan Dickenson.

Captain Doug Loft and fellow midfielder Emmanuel Osadebe made welcome returns from injury, both making appearances from the bench in the second half.

Both teams had suffered second round Capital One Cup exits, Peterborough’s being particularly painful, losing 4-1 to Charlton Athletic.

The home manager once again left former Gills player Jack Payne out of his squad but watched on as Peterborough bossed the early stages of the League 1 match.

Keeper Stuart Nelson saved well from Conor Washington after the Peterborough man was put in on goal by Marcus Maddison.

Gillingham’s best chances of the half came from Ryan Jackson’s throws from the right-hand side. One was flicked goalwards by John Egan, only to be saved by keeper Ben Alnwick, while Jordan Houghton volleyed an effort into the side-netting.

Nelson needed to be alert again shortly before the break. Vassell got the better of left-back Brennan Dickenson but his low cross for Washington was blocked by the Gills stopper.

Gills had a couple of early second half chances. One fell to Dack but he shot well wide and Norris fired a weak effort into the arms of the goalkeeper.

Hessenthaler also headed a Jackson cross over, in response to a shot from Peterborough striker Vassell that went well clear of the Gills bar.

Peterborough had a great chance to take the lead on 67 minutes. Dickenson had been fortunate to stay on the field, after a foul on Maddison, having already been booked. From the free-kick Coulibaly had a chance from two yards out, getting on the end of Maddison’s cross, but Nelson saved with his feet.

Jake Hessenthaler in action against Peterborough Picture: Barry Goodwin
Jake Hessenthaler in action against Peterborough Picture: Barry Goodwin

Moments later Norris had Gills’ closest chance, crashing a free-kick off the crossbar.

Substitute Coulibaly tested Nelson again, this time from distance, but the Gills keeper held onto the ball. Maddison also tried his luck, with a 30 yard free-kick, but Nelson tipped the effort over the bar.

Norris found the woodwork for the second time, with six minutes left, heading Loft’s ball across onto the post.

The Gills took the lead with five minutes left. It was Oshilaja with the finish, tucking the ball away from close-range, as Dack had crossed and Egan headed towards goal.

Peterborough responded, hitting the bar from long-range through Vassell and then on 90 minutes scored. Nelson was unable to hold onto Maddison’s wicked cross, possibly put off by Ricardo Almedia Santos' presence, and Vassell lurking at the far post netted.

Gillingham: Nelson, Jackson, Dickenson, Oshilaja, Egan, Houghton (Osadebe 46mins), Wright, Hessenthaler (Loft 62mins), Dack, Donnelly (McDonald 81mins), Norris. Subs not used: G Morris, Ehmer, Williamson, McGlashan.

Peterborough: Alnwick, Taylor, Bostwick, Vassell, Maddison, Santos, Washington (Coulibaly 64mins), Anderson, Davey, Collison (Adebayo-Rowling 76mins), Elder. Subs not used: Henry, Brisley, Gormley, Anderson, Angol.

Attendance: 5,083 (728 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More