Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Carabao Cup match report: Millwall 0 Gillingham 0 (Millwall win 3-1 on penalties)

More news, no ads


Gillingham were knocked out of the Carabao Cup at Millwall on penalties.

Brandon Hanlan and Regan Charles-Cook both put good chances wide for the Gills during the second half but neither side could find the net.

With no extra-time, the game went to penalties, and the Gills could only convert one of their efforts.

Josh Parker after his penalty miss Picture: Ady Kerry (3603225)
Josh Parker after his penalty miss Picture: Ady Kerry (3603225)

It was an early exit from the competition for the Gills but they left The Den with their heads held high.

Gills boss Steve Lovell made just three changes for the clash, resting Billy Bingham and Gabriel Zakuani while Dean Parrett was out injured.

The Gills XI was similar to the one that had finished the Burton game, with Tom Eaves partnering the inform Hanlan in attack and Josh Parker playing in behind at the tip of a midfield diamond.

Millwall boss Neil Harris made 10 changes to his Championship side but still managed to field an experienced line-up. The home side had the majority of the play during the opening half at The Den.

Home striker Fred Onyedinma was a handful throughout and Gills keeper Tomas Holy was kept busy. He made saves to deny Ben Thompson and Jiri Skalak while defender Alex Lacey got behind another couple of efforts.

Gills’ best chance from the opening half fell to Eaves, after 15 minutes, connecting with Bradley Garmston’s cross on the half volley but the shot rose over the bar.

Tom Eaves gets away from Millwall's Byron Webster Picture: Ady Kerry (3603221)
Tom Eaves gets away from Millwall's Byron Webster Picture: Ady Kerry (3603221)

Regan Charles-Cook had an early shot beaten away by home keeper Ben Amos, following a positive run, and Josh Parker also put a chance wide.

Gillingham continued to boss the start of the second half, with Hanlan doing well to beat his man, finding Eaves with a cross. He took a touch before the shot was blocked by a Millwall defender.

At the other end Holy did well to deny Onyedinma from close-range, helped by Garmston, as the home striker looked to pounce on Shane Ferguson’s looping header over the keeper.

Hanlan had the chance to break the deadlock with 68 minutes gone, racing onto a long ball forward, beating his marker for pace but then putting the chance wide.

Brandon Hanlan takes on Millwall's James Meredith Picture: Ady Kerry (3603223)
Brandon Hanlan takes on Millwall's James Meredith Picture: Ady Kerry (3603223)

Elliott headed over for the hosts with 10 minutes left but Charles-Cook went closer for the Gills, dragging an effort wide of the far post as the game opened up in the final few minutes.

Substitute Bradley Stevenson made a positive impact for the Gills, looking for goal every time he got the ball, having three shots blocked in the short time he was on the pitch.

Gillingham had to defend desperately in the last few minutes as Millwall looked for a winner but the game ended goalless, leading to penalties.

Tomas Holy saved the first Millwall penalty but Luke O’Neill was the only Gills man to score. Mark Byrne had his effort saved, Parker shot well over and Brandon Hanlan was also denied by the home keeper, as the hosts won the shootout 3-1.

Millwall: Amos, McLaughlin, Meredith (O’Brien 74mins), Thompson, Onyedinma (Gregory 74mins), Ferguson, Webster, Tunnicliffe, Elliott, M Wallace, Skalak (J Wallace 83mins). Subs not used: Archer, Cooper, Williams, Romeo.

Gillingham: Holy, O'Neill, Garmston (Fuller 74mins), Lacey, Ehmer, Byrne, Reilly (Stevenson 63mins), Charles-Cook, Parker, Eaves (Wilkinson 76mins), Hanlan. Subs not used: Hadler, Simpson, Nasseri, Nash.

Attendance: 4,401 (560 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More