Published: 16:45, 23 September 2019
| Updated: 16:45, 23 September 2019
There was a day of high drama at Moat Park yesterday (Sunday, September 22), with the final of the KM Dragon Boat Race being decided by a photo finish.
Thirteen teams comprising fundraisers from across the county took to the water, raising approximately £26,000 for a dozen charities.
And in a nail-biting final, a boat crewed by supporters of Bromley child-disability charity Livvy Lou’s Loved Ones edged out Farmwood Warriors by fractions of a second, with BAE Systems Barracudas coming in a close third.
Sittingbourne ventilation business Farmwood was raising funds for Maidstone and Mid-Kent Mind, while Medway-based BAE Systems took part on behalf of Combat Stress.
The race was staged by the KM Charity Team on the lake at Mote Park in Maidstone, with the support of Countrystyle Recycling.
Event coordinator Dominic Cousins said: “Once again, the KM Dragon Boat Race concluded in spectacular style, with the outcome uncertain until the very final moments of the last race.
“Many, many congratulations to Livvy Lou’s Loved Ones on its victory. It’s such a deserving cause.
“And commiserations to runners-up BAE Systems and Farmwood, who battled so hard throughout the day.
“Everyone was a winner today: all the teams and their supporters had a fantastic day out in a beautiful location, and the event succeeded in raising much-needed funds and generating invaluable publicity for all the brilliant good causes they were representing.”
Each team took part in three qualifying heats, with the nine fastest ones taking part in three sudden-death semi-finals. The winners of the semi-finals then competed against each other in the grand final.
The full list of teams taking part and the charities they were representing was:
• Abigail’s Warriors – Abigail’s Footsteps
• Abigail’s Argonauts – Abigail’s Footsteps
• Farmwood Warriors – Maidstone and Mid-Kent Mind
• Livvy Lou’s Loved Ones – Livvy Lou’s Loved Ones
• The Dipsticks – Anthony Nolan
• Kerala Warriors – Air Ambulance Kent Surrey Sussex
• Team Strode Park – The Strode Park Foundation
• BAE Systems Barracudas – Combat Stress
• GlobalSign Rowers – The Spark Foundation
• TEPTA – Tenterden Primary Foundation PTA
• 21 Together – 21 Together
• Emilia’s Little Heart – Emilia’s Little Heart
• YLF – The Young Lives Foundation.
The next KM Charity Team challenge event is the KM Winter Abseil in Maidstone on Saturday, October 5. Individuals can take part to raise money for their favourite good cause or simply for fun. See here for bookings and information.