Home   Pets   Article

Experts warn what plants you should keep away from your pooch this Spring


More news, no ads

LEARN MORE

Spring is here and with it comes flowers and plants galore. To us humans, they are beautiful to look at, but they could be toxic and dangerous to our furry friends.

Despite most dogs being somewhat careful about what they eat, young puppies and curious pooches are famous for getting their snouts into things they shouldn't.

Puppies should stay away from bluebells or azaleas
Puppies should stay away from bluebells or azaleas

That's why experts at tails.com have compiled a list of flowers to avoid having your dog nearby.

Daffodils

This lovely yellow flower can make a nice decorating piece, but it is very toxic to dogs. If ingested, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea and drooling.

Usually, dogs can come in contact with a daffodil bulb when digging holes, whether it's in your garden or on a walk.

If you don't wish to get rid of them, a good way to keep your dog safe is by fencing daffodils off and keep them safely out of reach.

Azaleas

These plants are best to be left out of reach, even though they add a nice pop of colour to your garden.

Azaleas can be toxic to your pup and cause mild problems such as vomiting, diarrhoea and weakness.

Owners should be careful of dangerous plants while out on walks. Picture: Vincent Van Zalinge
Owners should be careful of dangerous plants while out on walks. Picture: Vincent Van Zalinge

Bluebells

This springtime favourite can be dangerous to have around your dog, as it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and disorientation as they contain glycosides.

Prairie lily, lily of the valley, peace lily, and calla lily

Consumption of these lilies is known to be toxic for both dogs and cats, so make sure to keep them out of your pet's reach and be extra careful when out on a walk.

While not all lilies are toxic to pets, the majority can cause an upset tummy and other uncomfortable reactions.

If your dog ingests a lily plant, it may cause gastrointestinal upset including vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain.

If your pup has got its paws on a lily and seems unwell, it's important to contact your vet for further advice.

Your pooch should avoid getting close to flowers such as daffodils or tulips
Your pooch should avoid getting close to flowers such as daffodils or tulips

Tulips and hyacinths

These popular spring flowers are toxic to most animals, including dogs, cats, and horses.

When ingested, these plants can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and drooling.

If your pooch eats a large amount of the plant bulb, they may experience changes in heart rate and respiration. You should therefore seek attention from your vet.

But not to worry, there are still ways to keep your garden safe and stunning at the same time.

Flowers such as roses, sunflowers, camellias, and snapdragons are the perfect options to make a beautiful and dog-friendly garden.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More