Home   Romney Marsh   News   Article

'Violence' at family pub Cinque Port Arms in New Romney sparks bans

By KentOnline reporter

The landlord of a family pub has condemned "mindless idiots" for fighting after England's 2-0 clash with Sweden.

Kevin Gibbons, who co-runs the Cinque Port Arms in New Romney, said in a public statement CCTV images have been recorded and the perpetrators will be barred.

It comes as thousands of England fans took to Kent's streets, flooding town centres and high streets.

Landlord Kevin Gibbons
Landlord Kevin Gibbons

Speaking after England's Quarter Final victory, which will see the Three Lions face Croatia in the Semi Finals on Wednesday, Mr Gibbons said the violence put a "dampner on the day."

He said: "We would like to thank everyone for joining us at the Cinque Ports Arms on Saturday for an amazing game of World Cup football.

"We had over 200 people on the premises, with a good mixture of families.

"Unfortunately, a small number of mindless idiots around 8pm decided to put a complete dampener of the day by fighting.

"Thankfully it was brought under control quickly."

He went on to say it is a country-wide issue with "football idiots wanting to start fights."

The Cinque Port Arms, New Romney High Street
The Cinque Port Arms, New Romney High Street

Following his statement on The Real Marsh Watch Facebook page, Mr Gibbons received floods of support.

His statement added: "We are a family friendly pub and do not expect this kind of behaviour, we put a lot of effect in to giving you guys a good experience for this national event.

"Rest assured some of those involved will be getting a ban from the pub, your Images have been captured and all staff have been briefed."

A 20-year-old from Lydd was later arrested in New Romney High Street and cautioned , according to Kent Police.

"Kent Police received reports of a disturbance in High Street, New Romney at 9pm on Saturday night.

"Patrols attended and a 20-year-old man from Lydd was arrested on suspicion of assault, and was later formally cautioned."

It happened moments after footage emerged of an England supporter being run over after jumping on a car in Folkestone.

Shocked onlookers watched as the pair swept past on the bonnet in high spirits before the car reaches a pedestrian crossing.

Narrowly missing people on the crossing one of the men fell off the car, before the wheel appeared to go over his leg.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More