Published: 00:00, 28 April 2016
| Updated: 09:59, 28 April 2016
Explosives experts missed their chance to recover five wartime shells from Sandwich Bay, and will have to wait another week to try again.
Tony Ovenden, 59, from Ramsgate, discovered the bombs, likely to date from the Second World War, during a morning walk, on Saturday.
He reported them to the police, but by the time the Ministry of Defence’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit had attended the scene, the shells had been covered over by the sea.
Mr Ovenden said: “I was following the debris trail towards the shore from the remains of the B17 Flying Fortress when I came across them.
“I am a coastal historian and a volunteer coastal warden for the North East Kent Marine Protection Area. I come across many things, and I do look out for historic artefacts.”
Police confirmed they were called at 9.30am on Saturday after a report five wartime shells had been found, and passed the matter to the coastguard.
A spokesman for the coastguard said: “When the EOD arrived there, they had been covered back up by the tide.
“At this point in time we are still unable to get to them and we are having to wait until a very low tide. We’re expecting that to be on Friday, May 6.”
The coastguard would not comment on the risk to the public.
Mr Ovenden said if they are safe, he would like to collect them at a later date.