Home   Sheerness   News   Article

Statement from Eastchurch Holiday Centre

By John Nurden

The owners of the caravan park where a toddler had his arm "ripped off" on Monday have spoken for the first time about the tragedy.

Suzanne Eva from law firm Coffey Graham said: "All at Eastchurch Holiday Centre were deeply saddened to hear of the tragic accident involving the little boy on Monday.

"They extend their sympathies and best wishes to him and his family at what must be a very difficult time for them all."

Eastchurch Holiday Centre (1477284)
Eastchurch Holiday Centre (1477284)

She added: "The owners would like to thank their staff who got to the scene of the accident (the family’s caravan) so promptly upon hearing about it.

"In distressing circumstances, they were able to use their first-aid training to do their best to help the child, pending the arrival of the emergency services.

"The accident was a deeply upsetting incident to everyone concerned. The boy is receiving the best treatment in hospital."

She went on: "We wish to make it clear, in the light of earlier inaccurate reports, that the accident did not take place in the laundrette at the park, which is a facility available to park-users.

"We would like to reassure everyone that the safety of children is of paramount importance at the park."

According to earlier reports first published on The Sun's website yesterday, the three-year-old boy suffered a "serious arm injury" after climbing into a tumble dryer and had his arm "ripped off."

Police and ambulance crews were called to the holiday park in Fourth Avenue, Eastchurch, on the Isle of Sheppey at 1.15pm on Monday.

The boy was taken to King's College Hospital, London, for emergency surgery.

A police spokesman said yesterday: "We were called to Eastchurch Holiday Centre at 1.13pm on Monday after a young child suffered a serious arm injury.

Ambulance. Stock picture
Ambulance. Stock picture

"The child, a three-year-old boy, was taken to a hospital in London where he remains in a serious but stable condition."

An ambulance spokesman said crews responded to a call to Eastchurch Holiday Centre shortly before 1pm.

He said: "The air ambulance response car also attended and accompanied the ambulance in the transfer to King's hospital."

Swale council was informed but said it would be taking no action.

A spokesman said: "After being alerted to the incident, we made enquiries to see if we would need to carry out an investigation under our Health and Safety Act 1974 responsibilities.

“We have been able to establish that no work activity was taking place, so there will be no further involvement from us in any investigation.

“Our thoughts and best wishes are with the child and his family at this unimaginably difficult time.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More