Published: 00:20, 09 December 2015
| Updated: 00:24, 09 December 2015
A man rescued from a serious houseboat fire has suffered severe burns to his face, hands and arms.
The 58-year-old victim was taken to hospital tonight after he was pulled off the boat at the jetty in Queenborough on the Isle of Sheppey.
Firefighters were called to the scene on Coal Washer Wharf, near First Avenue, shortly after 8.30pm and discovered a blaze in the living area of the vessel.
Crews used an inflatable boat to gain better access to the fire from the waterside.
The man rescued was taken by Sheppey Lifeboat crews to Sheerness Docks, where he was met by paramedics.
He was treated for burns and smoke inhalation and transferred to Medway Maritime Hospital.
Lifeboat second coxswain Paul Jarvis said: "Apart from the burns, the casualty was suffering from having inhaled the diesel fumes so the crew administered salbutamol inhaler to help with his breathing."
The blaze – which started accidentally in a diesel heater – severely damaged the living area of the houseboat.
Fire crews say the man was alerted by a smoke alarm he had fitted on the boat.
They left the scene shortly after 11pm.