Published: 07:49, 06 December 2021
| Updated: 08:38, 06 December 2021
Many still haven't recovered from Storm Arwen but now we are being warned to batten down the hatches again as new Storm Barra is set to batter UK.
The Met Office has issued a yellow warning across the UK of high winds and also predicts snow in the north and Scotland as thousands of homes are still without electricity nine days after Storm Arwen.
Heavy rainfall overnight meant hundreds of properties that had been reconnected were again without supply in Northumberland.
A second major storm – named Barra after the Scottish island by the Irish Met Office – is set to batter Britain from 9am on Tuesday.
Industry body the Energy Networks Association says 4,025 homes were still without power across northern England and Scotland today (Sunday), down from 4,700 homes on Saturday.
The Met Office has warned of potential travel disruption with delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport likely. It says some bus and train services may be affected with delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges.
Short-term loss of power and other services is "possible" and coastal routes, especially around Kent, could be affected by "spray and/or large waves".
Shadow Environment Secretary Jim McMahon said it "beggars belief" that the loss of power to so many homes has been not been considered a "national priority".
He told the Sky News' Trevor Phillips on Sunday programme: "I firmly believe had this been the case where 20,000 properties were without power in Surrey or in London, the government would absolutely have treated it with more seriousness."
Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted: "I am grateful for the tireless efforts of the emergency teams and volunteers on the ground but remain concerned that... households are still without power."
Nearly 300 military personnel from the British Army and Royal Marines were deployed to offer support and have been conducting door-to-door checks on vulnerable people.
Energy regulator Ofgem has warned it will take enforcement action against network companies which failed to restore power to customers quickly enough following the storm. It has also agreed with firms to lift the £700 cap on compensation which could be given to customers.
The change will allow those affected to claim £70 for each 12-hour period they are left without power, after an initial £70 for the first 48 hours.