Home   Sheerness   News   Article

Fire crews called to blaze in stock room at Austin News 4 U, Invicta Road, Sheerness

Thousands of pounds of stock has been lost after a fire broke out in a shop's store room.

Firefighters were called to Austin News 4 U in Invicta Road, Sheerness, at about 9am after a tenant living above spotted smoke.

Austin News 4 U in Invicta Road, Sheerness. Picture: Google
Austin News 4 U in Invicta Road, Sheerness. Picture: Google

Goods thought to be worth "a few thousand pounds" were damaged in the fire.

Two crews were sent and the blaze was out by 9.28am.

A member of staff said: "One of the tenants of the flats above told me there was smoke coming from the store room.

"We did try putting it out but got beaten back by the heat. The whole store room is gone.

"I went out there, called 999, got the fire extinguisher. It did go out but it reignited and then we were told to evacuate the building and the tenants upstairs.

WATCH: Footage from the fire in Invicta Road, Sheerness. Video: Damion Lewis

"The fire brigade were really quick and they were here within five minutes."

It is thought the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

The shop reopened at about 10.30am.

For more news on fires in the county, click here

Read more: All the latest news from the Isle of Sheppey

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More