Home   Sheerness   Sport   Article

Southern Counties East League round-up: Sheppey win at Corinthian, Tunbridge Wells go top

Sheppey United ended Corinthian’s perfect start in Southern Counties East after two goals in stoppage time earned them a 4-3 win at Gay Dawn Farm.

There was no shortage of drama in the opening half-hour as Emmanuel Oloyede twice equalised for Corinthian after Billy Bennett and Connor Wilkins had twice put Sheppey ahead while Jack Midson had a first-half penalty saved for the visitors.

Sheppey United manager Ernie Batten. Picture: Paul Owen Richards (42744232)
Sheppey United manager Ernie Batten. Picture: Paul Owen Richards (42744232)

Oloyede put the hosts ahead on the hour but Danny Leonard levelled in the ninth minute of injury time and Midson scored the winner two minutes later for Ernie Batten’s Sheppey. Chris Kinnear was shown a red card for Corinthian with Warren Mfula seeing red for Sheppey.

After seven straight wins it was Corinthian’s first league defeat of the season and it opened the way for new leaders at the top of the table.

Tunbridge Wells took advantage to go two points clear with a 3-1 win at Fisher.

Ryan Cheek, Euan Sahadow and James Nurden scored for the visitors with Anthony Folkes’ spot-kick a late consolation for Fisher.

Chatham are in second after taking their tally to 41 goals in eight league games with an 8-3 defeat to AFC Croydon.

Ryan Hayes and Dan Bradshaw both scored hat-tricks. Former Dartford winger Hayes scored twice in the first eight minutes and added a spot-kick just past the half-hour. Jack Evans and Reece Butler also scored for Chatham.

The goals continued to flow in other games. Jamie Philpot hit an 11-minute hat-trick to put Glebe in charge at Bearsted.

They lead 3-0 inside the first 20 minutes thanks to Philpot’s treble. Lekan Majayegbe and Joel Wakefield reduced the deficit for Bearsted in the second half but a Frankie Sawyer double wrapped up the points for Glebe.

Lee Scott scored the winner with seven minutes left as Deal beat bottom side Tower Hamlets 2-1.

Sam Wilson had given Deal a fifth-minute lead before Denilson Carvalho levelled from the penalty spot on the half-hour.

Second-half goals from Calum McGeehan and Matt Gething handed Hollands & Blair a 2-0 home win over Welling Town.

Erith & Belvedere got their first win of the season, defeating Canterbury 3-0 at Park View Road.

The Deres climbed above the visitors in the table thanks to goals from Jamie Humphris, Guyliano Mpungi and Henry Dasofunjo.

Lordswood led at K Sports through Billy Lewis’ first-half goals but Chris Carcary equalised on the hour for the hosts.

Beckenham are up to fifth following a 7-0 demolition of Punjab United. Tunde Aderonmu scored twice with Danny Phillips, Jerome Pink, Ryan Hall, Callum Henry and Joe Nwoko also on target.

Kennington made it five wins from five at the top of Division 1 with a 7-1 thrashing of FC Elmstead.

Read more: All the latest sports news in Kent

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More