Published: 06:00, 04 October 2021
| Updated: 15:11, 04 October 2021
A takeaway was handed a zero hygiene rating after inspectors found a mouse infestation at the property.
The Charcoal Grill in Milton Regis, near Sittingbourne, was given the worst possible rating after inspectors turned up in June following complaints of rodents being seen.
As well as mice being spotted in the shop and a dropping found inside a packet of pitta bread, the visiting health officer explained there was also an ant infestation, with the insects seen crawling over wrapping paper used by staff.
The hygiene report said: "It was noted that you had an ant infestation, and the ants were walking over the pile of paper that you use to wrap food items in, they could contaminate your packing material and subsequently the food within.
"You must ensure that all food packaging and utensils are kept clean and are not a source of contamination.
"A mouse dropping was found inside a packet of pitta bread. This is contamination of food and is not acceptable. Food must be protected from contamination likely to render it unfit for human consumption."
The eatery was also given a low rating for storing food incorrectly and staff washing their hands without soap.
At the time of the inspection there was no separation between uncooked food and ready to eat items, with raw meat, such as raw chicken being kept above salad and cheese.
Dirty cardboard was spotted on the floor of the walk-in chiller, with open food containers and items stored directly on top of it.
The inspector said: "You must remove the cardboard as this can not be cleaned and can harbour bacteria."
A report, which was sent to Mid Kent Environmental Health and Swale council, detailed how mouse dropping were found throughout the building, on shelves and under equipment, as well as an ant infestation in the servery area.
The business was told it needs to urgently, and adequately, deal with the pest problem. It was also told clean a number of areas including shelving in the servery area, behind the TVs, one of the internal stainless steel fridges and its toilet.
The health inspector added how they have "no confidence in the level of food hygiene knowledge of staff".
Charcoal Grill was told it needs urgent improvement was necessary for its food handling and management of food safety, while major improvement was needed for its cleanliness and condition of facilities and building.
Attempts to contact Charcoal Grill have been made.