Home   Sittingbourne   News   Article

McDonald's one-punch killer chased and stabbed boy, 16, in Sittingbourne

A convicted killer is back behind bars just four years after causing the death of a man outside McDonald's.

Andre King, now 20, was found guilty of manslaughter in 2017 after Wayne Chester, 50, died having been punched in the head in Week Street, Maidstone.

Andre King Picture: Kent Police
Andre King Picture: Kent Police

Now Maidstone Crown Court has heard how in June this year King donned a stab-proof vest and then chased after his 16-year-old victim shouting "Who's got a knife then?" before striking him with the blade.

King has been given an eight-year extended sentence for the savage attack.

He was just 16 years old when he killed dad-of-three Mr Chester with a single punch in September 2017.

He was released from a prison sentence of three years and three months in 2019 and began living in Sittingbourne, where he stabbed his latest victim.

The teenager had been at a party with a friend at Old Johnson House in Burley Road when they were asked to leave following a disturbance.

The court heard King was not involved and had been playing computer games.

Dressed in shorts, the barefooted King went to investigate, before returning to his room to arm himself and put on protective clothing.

Prosecutor Vivian Walters said:"He changed into tracksuit trousers, put on a stab vest and armed himself with a knife.

"CCTV showed him in the stab vest with his hand down his trousers. He then sprinted towards them and shouted 'Who's got a knife then?'"

The actual stabbing was not caught on camera but the court heard the victim was able to run home with his friend and an ambulance was called.

King later told police officers he had heard what he thought was "loud sex" occurring outside but was then told by another resident that a boy had a knife and so he donned a stab vest for his protection.

Wayne Chester, 50, was killed in Week Street, Maidstone
Wayne Chester, 50, was killed in Week Street, Maidstone

He admitted chasing after them but denied having a knife or carrying out any attack.

The victim suffered a two centimetre wide gash which needed stitching and has left a permanent scar.

He later told officers that he said he "thought the worst" as he ran home and feared he might die.

King has now received an immediate four-year jail term and the judge added another four years which will be served after his release.

He had admitted wounding with intent and possessing a bladed article.

Judge Julian Smith ruled that King was a dangerous offender who posed a significant risk of harm to the public.

He will therefore have to serve two-thirds of the jail term before he can apply for parole.

He said: "There was no reason for you to participate, go looking for it or engage with it.

"The injury was fortunately not as severe as it might have been. It didn't damage internal organs and there are no long-term consequences physically but no doubt there are consequences emotionally and mentally."

To read more of our in depth coverage of all of the major trials coming out of crown and magistrates' courts across the county, click here.

For information on how we can report on court proceedings, click here.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More