Home   Tenterden   News   Article

Former Royal Marine and grandfather Thomas Naish stabbed repeatedly in head with scissors at Tenterden Spires care home, court hears

A grandfather “just hoped to see another day” after being stabbed repeatedly in the head with scissors, a court heard.

Former Royal Marine Thomas Naish told how he struggled to his knees and held his skull together following the alleged attack at Tenterden Spires care home.

He was allegedly repeatedly stabbed with scissors. Stock image
He was allegedly repeatedly stabbed with scissors. Stock image

Scott Burgess, 43, stands accused of causing wounding with intent, after Mr Naish was treated for multiple injuries.

Mr Naish told a jury he believed his estranged daughter passed Burgess, her partner, the weapon.

However Burgess, of Rolvenden, argued Mr Naish flew at him with the scissors and injured himself during a struggle.

Mr Naish told Canterbury Crown Court yesterday: “I felt a sharp pricking pain to my head, I felt some to my back, I just remember trying to move to get away.

“I was in a lot of pain, and I didn’t realise what was raining down my face, it was blood.”

“I got to my knees, I put my hands on the top of my head to try and hold it together..." - Thomas Naish

He told the jury he believed Burgess was only landing punches initially. However, Mr Naish explained when he turned onto his back the defendant straddled him, began stabbing his head.

“He had his knees over my arms sitting on top of me.

“What was he doing?” asked his barrister Paul Valder.

“He was stabbing my head.

“My hands were all stuck together and I could feel it (the blood) on my face.”

“When he stopped, what did you do?” the barrister asked.

“I got to my knees, I put my hands on the top of my head to try and hold it together.

“I saw my daughter Cherrie-Anne pass him the scissors.

“Was he (Scott Burgess) saying anything to you?” Mr Valder asked.

Mr Naish replied: “If you don’t die now I will come back and finish the job.

“Then he said something to my daughter Hetty-Anne junior like ‘you are next.’

“The blood was pulsing, it was squirting out of my right arm and when I looked down, the ground was all covered in blood.

“I just hoped to see another day,” he argued.

Mr Valder said his client was treated for multiple wounds to his head and body, which required stitching and stapling at Ashford's William Harvey Hospital.

He told Canterbury Crown Court the attack happened while visiting his wife, Hetty-Anne Naish senior, at the care home.

He claimed his estranged daughter Cherry-Anne Naish arrived shortly afterwards with Burgess, then gave him the scissors to carry out the assault.

But defence barrister Paul Hogben said Mr Naish was embroiled in an ongoing dispute with Burgess, and so armed himself with the weapon spoiling for a fight.

“I’m going to put it to you that you brought the scissors and became injured during a struggle on the floor,” he said.

“No sir,” Mr Naish replied.

Burgess, of Rolvenden, Cranbrook, denies causing wounding with intent and threatening a person with a blade during the alleged assault on March 28.

The trial continues.

Read more:All the latest news from Weald

Read more:All the latest news from Tenterden

More by this author

This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More