Home   Thanet   News   Article

Family flees kitchen fire at their Margate home


More news, no ads

LEARN MORE

A family had a lucky escape after fleeing their home last night when a fire started in their kitchen.

The blaze flared up at the property in William Avenue, Margate, at around 9.15pm when a pan of oil left inside a grill caught light after the oven was accidentally turned on.

Firefighters were called to the scene. Stock image
Firefighters were called to the scene. Stock image

Two crews raced to the scene and firefighters found the family already outside the house.

But a girl needed oxygen after suffering slight smoke inhalation. She was checked over by paramedics but did not need to go to hospital.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the blaze and made the scene safe in 30 minutes.

Now they are reminding homeowners to take extra care when cooking as oil and fat can catch light if it gets too hot.

To help reduce the risk of a kitchen fire, they advise keeping ovens, grills and hobs clean and clear.

Read more: All the latest news from Thanet

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More