Published: 15:00, 13 March 2014
| Updated: 15:41, 13 March 2014
The man accused of attacking UKIP leader Nigel Farage was today sentenced to 80 hours of unpaid work.
Andrew Scott, 37, of Ramsgate Road, Margate, admitted common assault when he appeared before a district judge at Margate magistrates court.
The charge related to an incident when Mr Farage was hit on the head with a placard on January 20.
As well as the community service order, Scott was ordered to pay a £60 victim surcharge and £85 towards prosecution costs.
He apologised to Mr Farage through his solicitor Edward Jones of London-based practice Hodge, Jones and Allen.
The assault on Mr Farage happened outside the Walpole Bay Hotel in Cliftonville where the controversial politician was attending a function.
He was greeted by 40 protesters and there were heated exchanges between them and UKIP followers.
Mr Jones said afterwards that the court heard Mr Farage had been making his way through the crowd, accompanied by a protection officer.
He had been struck on the head by a placard with the words “Nasty little Nigel” on it.
It had been held by someone in the crowd.
Mr Farage was was not hurt. Scott was arrested following a Kent Police review of CCTV footage recorded at the time.
Mr Jones said: “He said he was not actually trying to hit Mr Farage, but he had seen the man accompanying Nigel Farage being a bit rough with one of the protestors in the crowd and tried to hit him,” said Mr Jones.
“His aim was off and he had hit Mr Farage, not the guy he was intending to.
“Andrew Scott does not agree with what Nigel Farage says but he respects he has the right to say it.”