Published: 20:38, 21 September 2021
| Updated: 14:39, 08 October 2021
A man has been arrested after a number of properties had to be evacuated following the discovery of a suspected explosive.
Police set up a cordon after officers made the discovery at a property in King Street, Margate.
A bomb disposal team was called in to deal with the device, the precise nature of which has not been revealed.
Officers have since confirmed a man was detained on suspicion of drugs offences and the cordon was removed just before 8.30pm.
A police spokesman said: "While carrying out enquiries on the afternoon of Tuesday, September 21, Kent Police officers located an item suspected to be a possible explosive at an address in King Street, Margate.
"A cordon was put in place to ensure the scene was safe and a number of properties were evacuated.
"A Ministry of Defence bomb disposal team attended and deemed the item safe. They have taken it away for disposal.
'Officers would like to thank residents, businesses and the community for their patience and consideration while the matter was dealt with.'
"The cordon was lifted shortly before 8.30pm.
"A man has been arrested on suspicion of drugs offences and remains in custody.
"Officers would like to thank residents, businesses and the community for their patience and consideration while the matter was dealt with."
Earlier, bus company Stagecoach tweeted to say it had been forced to alter one of its services due to the emergency road closure.
Meanwhile, one woman tweeted to say she had spotted an "army helicopter coming in" while another said: "Gotta love margate, one minute ur knitting and smoking in the back garden, next ur being evacuated bc of a bomb threat [SIC]."