Published: 10:21, 11 June 2019
| Updated: 16:56, 10 December 2019
A mum who admitted killing her twin babies on Boxing Day will no longer face a murder trial after prosecutors accepted a plea of manslaughter.
Samantha Ford, 38, admitted manslaughter by diminished responsibility at a hearing last month following the deaths of 23-month old toddlers Jake and Chloe - and the prosecution accepted her plea at the Old Bailey today.
She had been involved in a smash with a lorry on the London-bound carriageway of the A299 Thanet Way shortly before 3am on December 27.
When rescuers arrived, she told them to check her home in Westwood, near Margate, because her babies were there.
Police found the dying infants inside and paramedics tried to save the them, but they were pronounced dead at hospital.
Ford, of Castle Drive, Westwood, was excused from the today's hearing when prosecutor Edward Brown QC confirmed the CPS had accepted her pleas to manslaughter.
"My Lord gave the prosecution time on the last occasion to consider whether the pleas entered on the last occasion were acceptable to the Crown,' he told the judge.
KMTV reports at the time of Samantha Ford's arrest
"We, that is the prosecution team, have considered all the reports and all of the facts of this case very carefully.
"It is a case of great sensitivity, as My Lord will appreciate.
"We have taken instructions from those instructing me and the father of the deceased children, who has of course been consulted in respect of this case, and the result of those consultations, advice and instructions given to me are that those pleas are acceptable and the Crown does not ask for a trial in respect of the two counts of murder."
Mr Justice Edis adjourned sentence until July 26 pending a further psychiatric report looking at Ford's condition and prognosis as well as any recommended appropriate disposal.
Ford is understood to have moved to the rented house in Margate, Kent after purchasing a home with Steven Ford, her husband of five years, in nearby Ashford 12-months earlier.
Mr Ford sat in the well of the court flanked by a number of supporters during the hearing today.
He has posted a series of pictures of the children on Twitter since their death, describing them as his 'beautiful babies'.
After the killings he tweeted: 'Daddy's twins xxx my beautiful babies. I love you.'
More by this authorKentOnline reporter
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)