Published: 15:39, 08 June 2021
| Updated: 15:41, 08 June 2021
A pet fish and hamster were rescued from a house fire caused by a hoverboard left on charge.
A pair of fire engines were sent to the home in Acorn Close, Tonbridge, today, after a blaze broke out on the ground floor.
Firefighters wore breathing apparatus while using hose reel jets to extinguish the fire.
A fish and hamster were ferried to safety and a fan was used to clear the house of smoke.
The occupants were not at home at the time of the fire and no other casualties were reported.
The fire is believed to have started accidentally when a hoverboard toy was left on charge and caught alight.
Following the incident, the Kent Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to avoid charging electrical items when going out, or going to bed, and to always follow the manufacturers' charging guidelines.
As well as this, make sure to use recognised and recommended chargers and charging leads.
Finally, when charging batteries or any electrical item, place them on a non-flammable surface in a room with a smoke detector.