Home   Tonbridge   Sport   Article

Midweek friendly round-up as Tonbridge Angels welcome Crystal Palace youngsters

Tonbridge lost 3-0 at home to Crystal Palace’s lively under-23 side last night.

Angels hit the bar early in the first half but the dangerous Harlem Hale put Palace in front on 38 minutes and was brought down for a penalty, converted by Alfie Matthews, as the visitors led 2-0 at half-time.

Tonbridge Angels manager Steve McKimm Picture: David Couldridge
Tonbridge Angels manager Steve McKimm Picture: David Couldridge

Hale, whose pace caused problems, set up Rob Street for the Eagles’ third on 48 minutes.

For Tonbridge, Alex Akrofi fired just wide while Ben Greenhalgh had a chance from James Folkes’ cross, following a strong run from Khale Da Costa.

Boss Steve McKimm told his club website: “I thought for the first 30 minutes we did OK and caused them a few problems but for the goals there were some individual errors which we need to eradicate, but that’s what pre-season is all about.”

Sheppey United, of Southern Counties East, impressed in a 4-1 win at Isthmian Premier Margate.

Billy Bennett and Harrison Carnegie were among the scorers for Ernie Batten's side.

Folkestone continued their preparations with a 3-1 win over Faversham at Salters Lane.

Scott Heard let fly from distance as Invicta took a fourth-minute lead but the Lilywhites levelled eight minutes later.

Tempers threatened to boil over midway through the half before two late goals gave Folkestone victory.

Heard added his second with a tap-in from Tyler Stirling’s pass on 83 minutes.

James Rogers, red, scored twice for Hythe against Hollands & Blair Picture: Andy Jones
James Rogers, red, scored twice for Hythe against Hollands & Blair Picture: Andy Jones

Another Stirling assist, this time from a short corner, saw Kieron McCann smash home number three.

Southern Counties East side Hollands & Blair came from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Isthmian South Hythe.

Two spectacular James Rogers strikes put the Cannons in charge but Caleb Bearman-Dyce pulled a goal back and Darren Cooper levelled three minutes from time with a classy free-kick.

Herne Bay lost a two-goal cushion before running out 4-2 winners at Rusthall.

Bay made a flying start with Ryan Cooper finishing a lovely move on eight minutes and it was 2-0 five minutes later as Sam Bewick beat a number of players and curled home.

Two goals in five minutes squared the match but Bay regained the lead on the hour mark courtesy of Tushaun Walters’ neat finish.

Ben Smith’s side saved the best for last, with Dan Johnson’s overhead kick completing the scoring on 80 minutes.

Read more: The latest sports news in Kent

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More