Published: 15:05, 07 July 2020
| Updated: 15:07, 07 July 2020
A sex offender who preyed on a child almost two decades ago has been jailed.
Allegations of abuse were first made against Jonathan Howard, of Huntingdon Avenue, Tunbridge Wells, after more than 18 years had passed since the offences first took place.
Police arrested the 59-year-old on the same day as the accusations came to light in April last year.
Howard was sentenced to three years and four months’ imprisonment after pleading guilty to two counts of indecent assault, which took place between March and June 2001.
He denied two further indecent assaults, which the court ordered to remain on file.
Passing sentence on Friday, Judge Julian Smith described the impact of Howard’s crimes on his victim as "lifelong and huge".
He said: "This has clearly been the cause of much anguish and distress in their life. He does not have a complete comprehension of his actions or their impact. He has failed on occasion to properly grasp and accept his culpability."
"I would like to commend the victim for their bravery."
PC Karen Perkins, of the West Kent Vulnerability Investigation Team, said: "Howard targeted and abused a young child in a most abhorrent way.
"His actions have caused immeasurable trauma and harm and the victim will have to live with these memories for the rest of their life.
"I would like to commend the victim for their bravery in coming forward to help us ensure justice has now been served. I would also urge anyone who has been a victim of any sexual offence to remember that it is never too late to report this to police."
More by this authorRhys Griffiths
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)