Published: 10:00, 26 March 2021
| Updated: 10:37, 26 March 2021
Race walker Tom Bosworth has booked his place at the delayed Tokyo Olympic Games.
The 31-year-old finished second in the 20km walk trials at Kew on Friday morning, having already made the qualifying time in the summer.
Bosworth, who was born in Sevenoaks, was thrilled at the outcome but admits he has much to do.
Posting a video on Twitter, he said: “I’m going to Tokyo! I am going to be a double Olympian.”
He added that he was really disappointed at the same time, following his performance at Kew, but it was good enough.
“It was really tough,” he said. “I was really disappointed with how I raced, I wasn’t able to race and I wasn’t able to enjoy it. The problems in my hamstring haven’t gone away and I have missed the last month as well. We need to get on top of it and sort it out and I can target the next race.
“I had a great winter of training, that is in the legs, that is not going to go away, this was about getting first or second and I have done that and I am going to the Olympic Games.”
He added: “Thanks for the support, sorry I couldn’t have been faster and better, but onto Tokyo!”
Bosworth competed in the Rio 2016 Olympics and finished sixth. He had missed out on being selected for London 2012 by an agonising 19 seconds.
The 31-year-old multiple British champion and Commonwealth Games medalist had been in good form before the Tokyo Olympics were postponed, having set British records for 5,000m and 10,000m earlier in the year.
Despite a year of injury issues, in October he claimed a best-ever finish at the World Championships with a seventh in the 20km in Doha. His previous best had been 25th place.
He has now claimed top eight place finishes at the Olympics, Europeans, Commonwealths and the worlds. The Tokyo 2020 Olympics are scheduled to take place from July 23 this summer.