Published: 12:01, 25 October 2017
| Updated: 12:05, 25 October 2017
Justice finally caught up with a retired teacher and home tutor who sexually abused three pupils more than 30 years ago.
Geoffrey Oborn denied 13 offences of indecent assault and one of indecency with a child but was unanimously convicted by a jury yesterday.
Although released on unconditional bail until sentence on December 1, the 79-year-old pervert, of Wheatfield Drive, Cranbrook, was warned he was going to prison.
Maidstone Crown Court heard one of Oborn’s victims from Homewood Secondary School in Tenterden years later tracked him down by telephoning his home under the pretence of organising a school reunion.
Despite the ex-pupil tracking down the former maths and PE teacher, it was a church sermon about forgiveness which eventually led to the abuse being reported.
Prosecutor Paul Valder said the offences involved Oborn pushing his groin into the boy’s back, touching him over his clothing and putting his hand down his trousers. He also made the boy touch him sexually.
Oborn, who also taught at Dulwich College Preparatory School in Cranbrook, was arrested last year after more allegations were made by two women.
"It has taken a long time for his victims to get justice and I only can only commend their courage in helping us ensure Oborn has now been convicted" - Det Con Annie Lefebve
Both had been home tutored by him. One said he made her sit on his lap while he simulated sex and the other revealed he would touch her breasts under her clothes and put his hand down her knickers.
Adjourning sentence, Judge Philip Statman told Oborn: “You must use these weeks to deal with personal matters. There is only one way of dealing with you, and that is by sending you to prison.”
Det Con Annie Lefebve of Kent Police’s Public Protection Unit said: "Oborn was responsible for predatory abuse against children. He placed adverts in the local press to help find potential victims and then abused his position of trust for his own sexual gratification.
"It has taken a long time for his victims to get justice and I only can only commend their courage in helping us ensure Oborn has now been convicted.
"This case illustrates once again our determination to investigate all reports of historic sex offences and I hope it will encourage other victims of this type of abuse to come forward, no matter how long ago it was. I would also like to assure any victims of abuse that they will be treated with the utmost care and understanding."
More by this authorKeith Hunt
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)