Home   Weald   News   Article

Fire in Boyton Court Road, Sutton Valence

Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called to deal with a house fire last night.

It took four fire engines, a height ladder and a bulk water carrier to deal with the blaze at a large detached property in Boyton Court Road, Sutton Valence, near Maidstone, and fire crews remain at the scene this morning damping down and turning over any hotspots.

The fire in the two-storey converted barn was reported around 8.45pm

Firefighters worked hard throughout the night to tackle the fire, which affected the whole of the timber-framed building.

Crews used compressed air foam to create a protective barrier on surrounding buildings to prevent them from also catching alight due to the intense heat or falling embers from the fire, and successfully prevented the blaze from spreading.

The road was closed to allow emergency services free access and the power to the house and neighbouring properties was temporarily switched off as a precaution while crews used hose-reel jets and foam to tackle the flames.

There were no casualties and even fears for the owners cat proved unfounded as he turned up this morning unscathed.

The five-bedroom building last changed hands in 2011 for £750,000.

John Millen, who lives near the damaged property, said: "I was on the phone to my daughter at around 8pm and all of a sudden there was a power cut.

"The phone cut out and our doorbell rang because there was someone asking to park on our drive as there were four fire engines down the road."

A fire tender is still at the scemne this morning(6968966)
A fire tender is still at the scemne this morning(6968966)

Mr Millen, 80, said: "We looked out the window and it had obviously been alight for quite a long time.

"There was a huge glow from the fire and you could see the flames. I was absolutely shocked."

Ano6ther neighbour, who asked not be named, said: "I’m a West Ham season ticket holder and I went to the Liverpool game last night.

"We have electronic gates to the house and they weren’t working when we got to the house at around 11.30pm.

The fire damaged property is still smoking this morning
The fire damaged property is still smoking this morning

"We had to go to our next door neighbour’s house and climb through a tiny hole in the wall among all the roses my wife had grown. I was cursing because she hadn’t cut them back.

"There weren’t flames but you could tell there had been a big fire. The electricity came back on at around 12.45am and the water is still on low power. I feel so sorry for the people whose house it is."

The cause of the fire is not yet known.

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More