Home   Weald   News   Article

Tributes paid to man who died after falling from a ladder in Kings Hill

A much-loved dad died after falling off a ladder and hitting his head while working in Kings Hill.

The daughter of Grant Maloney, 55, from Yalding, paid tribute to her dad, describing how "family meant everything to him".

Mr Maloney with his dog Suzie
Mr Maloney with his dog Suzie

Mr Maloney, a roofer, fell while working on a house in Orient Court on Thursday, January 21 and was airlifted to King's College Hospital but never regained consciousness.

The dad-of-seven and grandfather-of-two died surrounded by relatives who had rushed to his bedside.

Daughter Jade Maloney, 28, from Sidcup, said: "He was a son, brother, uncle, grandad, dad and partner. Family meant everything to him.

"He loved being a host of everything and making sure everybody had something to eat before he'd even had a drink.

"He cared for all of us, he loved us so much."

Grant Maloney with his son, also called Grant
Grant Maloney with his son, also called Grant

She added: "He loved helping everyone, even people he had just met. Only the other day he reunited a missing dog with its owner and still has towels in his car he was going to take to a dog shelter."

Miss Maloney gave birth to a baby boy three months ago but because of coronavirus restrictions her dad couldn't visit her in hospital, so instead he dropped off presents and flowers to family members to celebrate the birth.

Because of the pandemic, Mr Maloney had only seen his new grandchild a couple of times and from a safe distance.

Having moved Lyngs Close in Yalding in 2018, after many years in New Eltham, in south London, Mr Maloney set about refurbishing his bungalow and was also a keen gardener.

"He was really settled and really happy," Miss Maloney said.

The roofer, who was born in Dundee and grew up in Dulwich, could also be seen walking around Yalding with his two dogs and often sent his family snaps from early morning canoe rides down the river.

Onlookers told the family how Mr Maloney fell from a ladder on to his head and never regained consciousness.

He was placed on a life support machine which was switched off after doctors realised there was no more they could do.

A memorial to Mr Maloney outside his mum's house in Dulwich
A memorial to Mr Maloney outside his mum's house in Dulwich

Miss Maloney believes her dad was waiting for all his family to be around him before he died.

She said: "I know he was waiting for all of us to be there together. We do believe he wanted to show how strong he was. We all had five minutes in the room with him."

The dad, who had been a roofer since he was 16, also loved sending voice notes to his family, which they are now listening back to.

"He would send so many we wouldn't have a chance to keep up with them. We have all got a lot of voice notes we can look back on now, even though they drove us mad at the time," Miss Maloney said.

"I am finding quite a lot of comfort in them," she added.

Mr Maloney hosting, which he loved to do
Mr Maloney hosting, which he loved to do

A memorial to Mr Maloney has been set up at his mum's house in Dulwich.

Mum Vivian Maloney said: "I would like to thank everybody that sent love and condolence flowers and cards. He will be sadly missed."

When the coronavirus restrictions are over the family plans on meeting at a pub in Dulwich which was run by Mr Maloney.

The Health and Safety Executive is investigating the incident and enquiries are currently ongoing.

Mr Maloney's death has been referred to the coroner's office.

Read more: All the latest news from Malling

Read more: All the latest news from Maidstone

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More