Published: 00:55, 20 November 2018
Time was, traditional Advent calendars, Christmas tree baubles and crackers gifted us illustrated cardboard windows, were dipped in glitter and there was a loud bang to the chorus of Christmas wishes and a cheesy joke.
Today, we go all-out glitz with blinged up baubles bearing gin, stylish party crackers filled with tempting tipples, and swish calendars stuffed with tiny wine bottles, hidden behind clever window dressing. We round up some decorative festive drinks to put the cheers into Christmas...
1. Daffy's Gin Christmas Card (5cl), from £7.49, single card; box of 6 cards, £44.94, Daffy's Gin
We love this luxe boxed gin-centric card with festive message on the back: 'The weather outside is frightful but the gin inside delightful, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!'
2. Tipplesworth Christmas Cocktail Stocking, £15, Tipplesworth
A stocking to hang by the mantlepiece, with a festive punch cocktail mixer (50cl) and two miniature bottles of Tanqueray Gin.
3. Decorative Snowflake Baubles, from £8.95 (3cl), The Whisky Exchange
The perfect measure of whisky, bourbon, rum and gin, for a quick fix come the big day.
4. Gin Baubles Gift, £29.75 for six, Laithwaite's
Pickering's Gin baubles can be threaded through a red ribbon and pinned as a garland, plus they're refillable, which is good to know if hanging them becomes thirsty work...
5. The Lakes Gin & Vodka Christmas Crackers, £5.95 (5cl) each, The Lakes Distillery
Just the tonic for gin and vodka lovers, dress the table with these festive crackers, which work just as well for small soirees as well as larger grown-up gatherings.
6. Moet & Chandon Imperial Brut Cracker (20cl), £19
Embrace those Moet moments with a burst of confetti, in tune with the sound of corks popping when you pour yourself a delicious glass of bubbly.
7. Festive Gin Crackers (set of six), £19.99, Aldi
Cocktail hounds will enjoy setting the scene with these miniature bottles of six swanky 'black tie' gins.
8. Prosecco Christmas Crackers (set of six), £32.99, Virgin Wines
Fizz, bang, pop! A must for prosecco parties, just make sure to have an ice bucket on hand to chill this fragrant fizz.
9. The Whisky Advent Calendar, £149.95, Laithwaite's
A 24-stop whisky trail of discovery, with windows filled with different 3cl wax-sealed drams.
10. Chase Distillery Twelve Festive Single-Estate Spirits, £60, Chase Distillery
An open invitation for a festive field trip to discover 12 multi-award winning gins and spirits - talk about top drawer.
11. Adnams Beer Advent Calendar 2018, £54.99, Adnams
A boxed set of 24 beers, featuring 18 different brews (some so tasty they feature twice) to introduce hop heads to this stellar Southwold brewery.
12. Laithwaite's 2018 Wine Advent Calendar, £79.99, Laithwaite's
With bright whites, bold reds, soft roses and a medal winning champagne to crown Christmas Eve, this selection offers 24 magical ways to delight wine lovers.
More by this authorWhat's On reporter